Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VATS? 86 won't crank

atcdork

Corvette
86 coupe
I know that VATS has been discussed before. I searched the forum, but couldn't find the same problem that I'm having.

86 coupe, automatic.

Intermittently, car won't crank. When I turn the key over, and the car goes into the no-crank mode, the "Security" light comes on. This leads me to believe it's a VATS issue. 20 minutes or so later, car starts fine.

Here's what's already been done to try to correct the problem:

-Installed "VATS bypass" to bypass key 'chip' code
-bypassed started inhibitor relay in dash
-installed a chip from pcmforless, that included reprogramming of the VATS fuel enable signal.

OK, I'm assuming that it's VATS related because of the "Security" light coming on.

I *thought* I covered everything as far as bypassing everything VATS related. Am I still missing other components related to VATS?

I see that there are two modules available that are related to VATS - the "VATS Module" and the "VATS Theft Deterrent Circuit Interrupt Module". Since I already bypassed the key, starter inhibitor relay, and VATS fuel signal... do these two modules still have any function?

TIA,

Ed

Try checking and cleaning every Ground Wire under the hood,Including Positive battery cable to starter,there are a couple Grounds on the frame behind the battery,3-4 on the second bolt up on the bell housing,(Drivers Side) 2 up by front cross-member,(Drivers Side) 1 on each side of the frame under the head lights and 1-2 on the frame below the AC unit!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I'll do that ... I'm sure that the grounds haven't ever been cleaned and might have corrosion. Thanks for listing the ground locations.

With the way my VATS is set up now (see original post), does the VATS Module and/or VATS Theft Deterrent Circuit Interrupt Module still do anything or should they be checked?

i found out from corey henderson , that you can totally disable the vtas if you desire , by changing the info in the prom

he is not to far from you in new braunfels . he also is one of the best tuners around . he found 22 more hp on my callaway 475 super natural zr1 over the callaway prom .he also did some work on the cruize part of the prom . when i drove out from california to have him tune the car 1500 miles .i got 23.1 on the way out and 27.4 on the way back . if anything i drove it faster on the way back cking out the new power. if you havent had your car tuned on a dyno ,you should . the generic prom one buys really only get ya in the ballpark . best of all corey is a true vet guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom