Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VIN/Body Tag question...

cefolar

Corvette
1961 Roman Red
So I am researching the origin of a '61 Corvette that my dad owned and I am getting ready to restore. I know the numbers don't match:

I know a previous owner put a 327 in it. Based on the casting number and the fact it is a solid lifter motor, my guess is that it is a '64 327/365hp engine. (Casting number #3858180)

My real confusion is that in the door jamb there is a tag with the following number #S65502KAN. I know this is not the VIN (that would be on the column). Were build or body tags used prior to 1963?

Any insight anyone can provide would be helpful.

I would think that the tag is a state (Kansas) vin/serial tag. Is your vin tag in place on the steering column?

I agree. It looks to be a state assigned VIN number tag. There must have been a problem with the number sometime in the past or the tag on the steering column is missing.

Tom

Thanks for providing the input on this. Would there be any other identifying number (maybe on the chassis) to determine what the original VIN of the car was?

Thanks for providing the input on this. Would there be any other identifying number (maybe on the chassis) to determine what the original VIN of the car was?

Yes. The VIN derivative ("S" followed by the last six digits of the VIN number) is stamped in two places on top of the driver's side main frame rail; one is directly across from the reinforcing plate on the center of the frame "X" member, just about where your wallet would be when seated in the car, and the second one is about a foot forward of that one. The numbers are about 3/8" inboard of the outer vertical edge of the frame, and will look like the photo below. :thumb

FrameVINStamp.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom