Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vin location help plz

G

gnuu

hello all I need some help locating my vin number on my 77 vette I just bought.

I thought it was on the dash on the drivers side where they put the emision sticker but I do not see it there.

anyone know of any other places to look for it? I was also told it could be on the frame but not sure as to where about.

the only thing I found so far was the paint stamp on the drivers door.

without finding the vin is making it hard to register the vehicle even tho I have the title signed over to me.

one last thing if the vin was taken off the car what are my options at getting new ones made up or at least what steps to go thru at getting it registered?

I live in CT and DMV has been giving me about a mile of red tape so far with no forms or any real answers, just passing me around to this person or that person.

any help would be great.

thanks in advance.

thanks for the welcome :)

we did look there and no dice will look again tho.

I did hear that maybe it could be by the rear left tire on the frame anyone know to any truth to this spot? would hate to start grinding down the paint for nothing.

It should be on the A Pillar down near where the pillar meets the back of the front fender.

There's a rectangular "cutout" along the front edge of the A-pillar garnish molding so you can see the VIN plate through the windshield. The partial VIN is also stamped on the top horizontal surface of the driver's side frame rail, centered on the front edge of the #4 body mount bracket.

May I ask why the DMV is giving you problems?

I've registered a lot of old cars in Maryland.

I bring the signed over title to DMV...turn it in...pay my money....and they send me the new title.

I've never had to bring a car in to the DMV to show the VIN #. I've never been asked to "prove" a VIN #.

I'm curious if Connecticut is "different".

As others have said, the "primary" VIN is on the drivers side A pillar, visible looking through the windshield. There is a "recess" in the vinyl covered interior trim that allows the VIN to be exposed.

The VIN tag is riveted to the A pillar. It's black in color. Chuck

May I ask why the DMV is giving you problems?

The problem is the vette I bought was from out of state and in CT all out of state cars need to go thru a "vin check" to make sure the car is not stolen ect ect.

when I went thru the first time at the inspection line they checked the front dash for the tag and it is not there. I am waiting for a call back from the guy I bought it from because I think the dash was replaced and the tags never put back on.

DMV said they wont touch the car until I can find a vin some where on the car to match up with the title I have signed over to me. bunch of red tape they are giving me.

the kicker is I even called the DMV in which the car was last registered in and gave them the title number to look up and it comes back clean.

its a shame that one little tag is givin me so much grief to get this bad boy on the road ;shrug

tomorrow I think I am going to take out the dash trimming to see if its hidden or something. next step is grinding down the frame in a few spots that others have said it could be at. drivers front wheel well or by the right rear wheel well close to body mount.

Ah, now I see. Didn't know that was a requirement in Connecticut.

The car is 30 years old. Can you register it as an antique?

In my state, inspection is waived for antique cars, BUT I must say that our inspection in Maryland is a safety inspection...done at various service stations, NOT at the DMV.

Sorry for your problems.

Unless the windshield frame was replaced, usually due to rust, the VIN tag should be there. No need to remove the tag if/when a windshield is replaced either.

I have to say that over the years, I've seen many badly rusted VIN tags on the A Pillar. I've seen some cars where the VIN tag had rusted off.

Chuck

The problem is the vette I bought was from out of state and in CT all out of state cars need to go thru a "vin check" to make sure the car is not stolen ect ect.
I think you will find this out in most states anymore,Regardless if it is Antique or not!!

tomorrow I think I am going to take out the dash trimming to see if its hidden or something. next step is grinding down the frame in a few spots that others have said it could be at. drivers front wheel well or by the right rear wheel well close to body mount.
There should be a # behind the left front wheel on the side of the frame,but it will be hard to see without removing the the Lower panel,(And even then it's Hard!!)and there will also be one above the transmission cross member on top of the frame "left side"!!(It's Impossible to see without lifting the body off the frame or cutting a Inspection Hole under the door sill plate!! There are others too but you will have to have the body off!!! There should be one on the build Sticker inside the Left door at the back!! The only easy accessible one is the one that JonZ mentions above!!:upthumbs

inspection is waived for all cars over 25 yrs which is great but being that the car was from out of state thats where the vin check comes into play.

the kicker is which I found out after I applied for my temp plates was that in ct you dont need a title to register a car older then 25yrs, all you need is a bill of sales. if I only knew that I could have saved myself all this frustration by just showing them the bill of sales and saying the car was last reg in CT and all would have been good and not gone thru a vin check because there is no title to much it up with.:bash

the build sticker on the drivers door only showed the paint color and interoir trim codes. thats the only plate I found so far.

There was originally a "certification label" on the rear face of the driver's door that also had the car's VIN on it, but if the car has been repainted, they usually remove it; check closely to see if it's still there and they painted over it. The only VIN location that can be seen without lifting the body is the one I posted above with the photo.

:beer

just wanted to say thanks for all the help finding the vin # :beer I did find where the location was on the A pillar and it was removed so I wasn't crazy :D.

after calling the last owner of the car and him telling me it was there I decided to remove the dash and what did I find...... MY VIN # plate that fell off.. :L :beer

I was so flippin happy to have the vin and end all the red tape and final got to register my Vette.. :upthumbs

Here in Arizona, when registering a car, there are three different inspections you may have to go through. Levels I, II, or III. They all check different things on the car, but they are all VIN inspections. If they don't find the VIN where it is supposed to be in Level I, they have you pull the car into a bay, and they look for it in other places.

It kinda nice, you pay them , but they do the history and VIN check for you. I have done three cars this way, and have had to go through every one of these inspections. I guess the MVD, and DMV are a bit more user friendly here......

Nice Black Beast, BTW.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom