Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vortec heads on 283 in 61

MCasteel2112

Corvette
vortec.jpg

Around May I had posted question on here about Install. Only got a couple of replys but all said it would not fit due to hood clearance which was my main concern.

Anyway 059 casting 305 vortec fastburns. runs fantastic

vette1b.jpg

Looks good !!!!
what intake did you use; I would think the intake would be more of an issue then the heads. Do they make vortec style heads that fit the early intake pattern?

boss

In reply to what intake I used I am sad to say that I bought one from proproducts only because it was made in china however I did not know that until I opened box and wala it was stamped on bottom.

It does work good but I did clean it up a little. Its a straight Vortec intake, 305 heads didnt have the extra holes for reg intake, wish it would have, sure limits choices.

The rear pad height is 4 inch like the holly vortec, by going with a quadjet insted of my OEM carter I made up for increase in intake height, Carter taller then quad etc.

I had SMI out of long beach do the Quad to 283 specs so I would not drown the motor.

I wanted to make it as stock looking as I could with exception of valve covers and intake bolts...but needing more Omph to bump the 0.60 gap on them plugs I had to drop in the HEI then I needed the K&N flow through etc then it was all bets off but it worked out fine.

Roller rocker @ 1.52 ... valves @ 184. 150. with 58cc. 2.5 ramhorns with 62 hi po/ crossover and oval muffs

All in all I have about 3/8 space left over under the hood

BUT please remember I have every nut and bolt OEM that I removed neatly packed away on shelf so when I get bored..lol I can always go back to Numbers Correct everything...in fact im putting in my hardend seats this weekend in my old stock heads just in case for down the road.

Happy 4th and keep on waving:crazy

Mike

the only other thing I can think of is crankcase venting, the systems were different. I'll bet its a joy to drive; the vortec heads are much better (efficient) then what was being made back in the 60's;LOL

Boss

Yes crank case vents from rear, with that big ole tube dropping down behind the block with no clearence issue with intake and vent in galley

I tried like hell to find intake with front knockout for oil tube to no avail.

It took a few times to adjust the secondarys and I was real concerned the quad was going to be way to much but SMI did it up for me, its got the secondary feed holes plus acess to APT screw and response is very crisp.

In the end much better response out of the hole and when I kick it down, really pulls hard around 3000.

Problem I may encounter is my generator due to my HEI needing a full 12V and my volts tend to drop while sitting at redlight and I dont want to kill my ignition mod.

Now I just got to find a way to rig up my 200 4-speed, I assume my starter will be problem being a 61...any ideas let me know

That looks like a nice installation. The 305 heads are a great match and really wake up the 283. A Q-Jet can be tuned to work well with even smaller displacement engines, as you know. GM makes valve cover adapters to mount your Corvette valve covers on center bolt heads. That would complicate your oil fill issue though. I wonder how the height of your intake compares with the '62 340 horse. It was taller than the iron intake.

I saw an ad in one of the rod magazines for a company that makes an alternator that looks like a generator. I think it was a generator case with custom internals. I could see if I can find it if you are interested.

Tom

p.s. Craig. Are you home or still out east?

Admin

I like the idea of the Alt hidden inside Generator casing, as of right now I am not doing any night driving to try and keep my voltage to my HEI unit.

Almost seems like more hassle then it was worth...but then again... hell yes it was worth it..lol

I had seen the adapters from GM for valve covers to hide the centerbolts at around $125 for the pair.

At this point now I need to craw under and see my starter config, I am not sure if the 61 falls under the early design...I think it does ..because i would like to add my 2004r but that will be winter project if i have no starter issues....

Mike

I'm back from the East, Painless has wire harnesses for a 700R4 so I assume they have them for the 200 also it works off engine vacuum and has a brake switch to unlock the TC, I have one for the 76 when the 305/700R4 goes into that.
Mike just Don't do anything that prevents you from driving since we will be having a BBQ one of these days for the Midwest gang if we all can agree on a date :boogie

PS you wont have to crawl under it if you bring it to the BBQ I have a lift

Boss

I think my tranny swap problem will lie in the lack of mount holes for my starter if swapping to 200.

I have yet to craw under to eyeball it but I think my starter mounts into the powerglide itself and not bolted to boss on block.

If boss is there I wonder if I could drill and tap of course it would not be much fun doing it upside down although my press could flip

it would for sure be a winter project that way id be in no great hurry to pull the block, toss it on stand, flip it around and position under me drill press.

Heck i guess i could just toss in one of my 350's but wheres the fun in that, ive had big blocks, 406,383...I like my 283 but that Iron PG has got to go..lol

mike

I can't remember a setup like that, I had a 60 as my first Vette back in 1967 but don't for the life of me remember how the starter bolted on. ;LOL and I had several different motors in that one it was a 4-speed car not an auto.
Tom will know when he gets around to viewing this thread.

All C1's had bellhousing-mounted or cast iron Powerglide-mounted starters except the 62's with Powerglide - that was the first usage of the new aluminum Powerglide and block-mounted starter. All starters were block-mounted from 1963-up. :)

re

yep, just as I thought but I did see drill holes on the boss where post 61 starter might bolt up.

Anyway This is a winter time project as I will finish out the season with the wind.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom