Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vortex Rammer

C

CAJUN C4

Anyone have the Breathless Performance Vortex Rammer. Nothing like cooler Intake Air for Horsepower.

I have one. Very easy to install. You will need to have a Dremel to cut the radiator shroud. I used a dimond cutting bit and it went very well. I silver marker worked great for the template outline. As far as performance, it is awesome. Sounds and feels like a big vacuum under the car. Seat of the pants pick up. It think with the Air Rammer, there are 2 types of people, those who love em and those who hate em. I love it...

I have similar on my 84' I noticed a big SOTP improvement as well. It is true. Cooler, Denser Air makes H.P.

rammer

I have similar on my 84' I noticed a big SOTP improvement as well. It is true. Cooler, Denser Air makes H.P.
Come on, guys. tell the truth. Is the rammer really worth over $200? I have been thinking about it, but I think a set of roller rockers would be money better spent.

I know a few people that had one and didn't notice any difference. One guy I know actually dynoed the car with and without the Vortex and there was no gain. It claims 22hp but that's really far fetched imo. I say spend the money elsewhere.

I have not put the car on a dyno, and I am sure I didnt gain 22hp, however my vette does run cooler and breaths a lot better, which as everyone knows are the biggest issues with the stock C4's. I am very happy with the power I got out of it, and the breathing, cooler temps. Its is funny that the Rammer debate satrts up in the C4 section every 6 months or so. As I said in the 1st post, 2 types, those that love it, those that hate it. If you are expecting to add one mod and be able to blow away a ZO 6, then you will always be looking, and disappointed.

Come on, guys. tell the truth. Is the rammer really worth over $200? I have been thinking about it, but I think a set of roller rockers would be money better spent.

I think it's a combination of Mods that do the trick. I definatly agree that Roller Rockers are a great HP improvement.Probably 15-20 HP.On my 84' I run the ZZ4 Cam and 1:6 R.R's.
My LT4 already has Roller Rockers so The Vortex might be a nice little addition.

rammer

:cool I read an interesting article once, I wish I could remember where so I can post it. This article said that after market air breathers that claim better air flow can only accomplish this by not filtering the air as good as an OEM filter. Think about it! Besides the oil getting all over your MAF sensor, the article went on to talk about the long term damage of "free flow filters" and the contaminates they let through into the motor. Something to contemplate, no?;shrug

On a dyno the car is sitting, even with a fan it is not the same as running your car fast down the road. I think you would notice a gain at higher speeds, causing a ram air effect.

Up to a Poit

I agree with Nelson up to a point. At speed, you would get some benefit from a "ram air affect". However, even on a dyno you are getting your intake air from outside the engine compartment. This air is ostensibly cooler and therefore denser. Denser air equals more power. Right?

just ordered one!

I have used cold/ram air in the past with several different cars ranging from a friend's V6 mustang to my 99 trans am. Every car I've used it on has had some change. The only one that went the wrong way was the V6 mustang because I think dual 4" inlets was a bit too much air for either his computer or injectors. But some of the other cars I've used it on were a 91 camaro, 89 camaro rs, 91 trans am, 96 camaro z-28, 99 camaro ss, 99 trans am... and I just ordered the Vortex Rammer for my 92 vette. Hope to make it to the track early May to get some numbers, last time I was there it went high 13.6's. This will be the only mod since, so hoping to see something lower than that so I can leave good feedback on the BPP customer testimonial page.

Well after being reassured on the phone a week ago that my part would arrive Friday the 25th, Monday at the very latest, I called Breathless to get a UPS tracking number so I could stalk my new air box on the 'net. Much to my dismay, I was told it had not shipped yet. The woman on the phone explained that when they took my order they were in stock, but before they boxed it they "got a bulk order from one of our dealers" and now mine is the first one on the backorder list. The soonest they can ship one to me is Wednesday the 30th, and they refuse to upgrade the shipping to get it here Friday, even though it's going to be a week late. So, their little screw-up costs me two weekends waiting. I know it's really not that bad, it's not like I can't drive my car without this part. But I really wanted to write up a good review about Breathless and post it on here because I like the design of their intake. The first time I looked at the air filter on the C4 my first thought was that it was upside down, and it would make much more sense to grab that relatively higher pressure and cooler air from in front of the radiator. So when I saw that Breathless makes a kit to do just that, I got excited to try it out.
Hopefully this is just a delay in what I'm still anticipating to be a good report. But I think if I had it to do over again, I'd try to find one of their dealers that actually had the piece in stock and takes orders on a first come first served basis.

I put one on mine last fall. I didn't see much of a difference, but everything else was still stock.
Right now, I'm in the middle of adding shorty headers, 1.6 rr & LT4 springs.
I'll be racing at Beech Bend Dragway in Bowling Green during the C4 Gathering. We'll see what kind of improvements I get out of it. :)
2491529_95_full.jpg

I put one on mine last fall. I didn't see much of a difference, but everything else was still stock.
Right now, I'm in the middle of adding shorty headers, 1.6 rr & LT4 springs.
I'll be racing at Beech Bend Dragway in Bowling Green during the C4 Gathering. We'll see what kind of improvements I get out of it. :)

I think you'll be pleased with the 1.6 roller rockers. Between those, and a custom exhaust with x pipe and flowmaster single chambers, I cut .2 off my 1/4 et.

I have a cousin getting married in Bowling Green this year. I'll have to check the dates, maybe it will be during a special event. Either way, I'm using it as an excuse to make the pilgrimage.

I say spend the money elsewhere.
I agree, despite my having really wanting this for my engine. As a pilot I fully understand dense air and ram air.

However, my trusty, experienced Corvette mechanic said it was a waste of money. I trust his experience and word like none other, having been around the block a few times.

update

Ok, the order I placed on 4/21 that was supposed to arrive 4/25 finally arrived 5/8. 17 days? Hmm, ok. Not the greatest, but I've already gone over their reasons.

Anyway, I installed it yesterday. Cutting the radiator shroud is easy with a dremel using a drill bit. Assembling the airbox is a bit ackward, but not difficult.

Results? Well, I just installed it so I'll have to wait until my next trip to the track for numbers. But as expected, it changed the sound of the car. With the stock air intake, even my flowmasters had a fairly tame sound, but with the new one I can feel the sound in my chest when the engine revs. I'd buy it again just for that! As for seat of the pants feel? Well it's tough to say because it was a very cool night last night, but starting right around 30 mph it definately felt like there was a little something extra. But I know a lot of guys on here don't believe in this stuff so I'll wait until I have numbers to back me up before I say for sure if it's faster.

I dynoed my 94 last year, (all stock). 270hp/ 301tq.

STOCK:In the 1/4mi, my best was 13.75 @ 101mph.

Additions made 2 weeks ago include: Ram-Air intake, 1.6rr, LT4 springs, Hooker shorty headers.

No dyno yet, (because I'm not finished modding) , but I do have new 1/4mi times that show a good improvement over stock.

After bolt-ons: 13.231 @106.39mph.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom