Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wacky Muncie

M

miles

My shifter bounces w the bumps and i can hear my tranny clunking on bumps but the mount is good! any clues?

Welcome to CAC. Tell us more about your corvette so we can try to help. What year, model, trans, engine, miles and mods.

Only mod is from the 327 to a vette 350(71?).Otherwise stock ttop 68 with 4 speed manual. The bumping is not the spare tire as has been suggested. I can actually feel the gearshift jump when i hit a bump and the noise (clunk) is simultaneous. As I mentioned, the mount is good and has been replaced. I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

M

Hay neighbor, welcome to the CAC. Do you have the stock shifter or aftermarket. The stock shifter mounts remote to the frame to cut down on vibs. Most after market such as Hurst mount direct to the transmission in order to try to provide more positive feel (at the expense of vibs and extra movement).

tom...

Thanks Tom, but my shifter is stock. Also the clunking is relative to movement of the shifter. I had a clutch job done a ways back 1-2 yrs ago) and though i don't remember if that was when it started, I know it did'nt happen before then. I am clueless. I would just take it in but I have tried that before: vEtte shops here are not only clueless but EXPENSIVE- They jack it up, say the mount is good, point out the other things I already know need fixing, and then charge me $200. bucks...hmmm...still clunks with $200 less in my wallet..

M

Is your exhaust banging against the crossmember where it passes through it when you hit a bump? With the shifter attached to the crossmember you would feel and hear this easily.

Tom

That's a good idea Tom. I did loosen the exhaust to do the tranny a while back. Unfortunately, I have explored that already. I suspected that the exhaust wasnt the culprit even before I confirmed it though; the clunking is the result of an up and down type of movement from the tranny. There are a couple of bolts that hold the tail end of the tranny to a frameish type crossmember and i think they are the problem (theyre tough to tighten and they may have shaken loose). Also it might be another bracket / bolt up spot I missed or am not thinking of; thus the message board..just hoping it was a common problem among 68s but i'm guessing no since i havent found any evidence on the web. I do appreciate the feedback though. I also need a few wierd parts: clips that slide on to the right & left of the wiper door (half-moon external trim pieces), side pillar /dome light covers, and new bags for the t-tops.

Thanks a lot,

M

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom