Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Was there insulation under the hood on '72 Vettes?

72Blazerod

Corvette
1972 Sunflower Yellow Coupe (Bone Stock)
I just took a look under my paint bubbling hood and noticed 6 or 8 round spots on the back of the hood which look like they probably held down some sort of insulation. Just wondering if 72 Corvettes had some sort of heat protection/insulation on the bottom side of the hood from the factory? If so, can you send me a picture of it?
For the record, the tiny bubble are pretty much all over the hood, not over one specific component. These bubbles have the same diameter as the eraser on a pencil. Thanks for your info!!

Rod

Rod

Nope, no insulation under a '72 hood. Just to be clear, are you talking about the exterior paint bubbling, or the underhood finish?

Dick

MidShark said:
Rod
Nope, no insulation under a '72 hood. Just to be clear, are you talking about the exterior paint bubbling, or the underhood finish?
Dick

Dick,

Since Rod's offline right now, I'll answer for him. Check out his older thread - eek!

- Eric

Mine has it...did 1973 start the underhood insulation?

Chas:w

Hood insulation

My 73 came with it too. About 6 or 7 of the round paltic disc clips hold it in

No on '72

1972 does not have hood insulation. 1973 does. My '72 just has the black paint as indicated earlier.

Rick

Rod:

You didn't specify whether these round spots were all located near the front portion of the underside of the hood, or whether you have the big block hood. Some 1969 hoods did use a partial insulation blanket, and it was held in place with what you describe.

Rod here!

The small bubbles (about the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil) are just about all over my hood. They are focussed near the center but go all the way from front to back and side to side. They do not seem to be consentrated over any particular part under the hood at all. As for my hood, it is a stock 1972 small block hood (plain Jane not big block or LT-1). The engine is the plain base 350/200hp. It does have A/C but the bubbles are not concentrated over the A/C, they are all over like I mentioned before. I am thinking of putting some shielding in to protect it from now on.

Rod

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom