Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Washin'

L

lady80

When I wash my car I just use clear water, does anyone use the carwash/wax products? and if so which one.
Thanks!:TALK

I use a tiny bit (almost a half cap full) of Zaino brand car wash. I've also used the Armour All stuff - it's probably just as good, but Zaino smells better! :L

-J.

Sleepyhead

Thanks, I like your forum name. I will give Zaino a try, seems to get some pretty good reviews.

Hello Lady80,
The trick to washing cars is NOT to wash in the sun. If you can find a good shady spot, early morning or evening your better off. The problem with the sun in that it dries anything you us water with or without soap and that's when it leaves spots on your paint finish and windows. If you use a car soap from a car care place you'll be ok

I agree...

...however, I'd also recommend not washing a hot car. If it sits in the sun and gets hot, then you pull it into the shade and wash it, the hot car will dry the water/soap just as fast as if you washed it in the sunshine.
I usually wash from the top down, rinsing often as I wash each section and use towels or Hubby's chamois (if I can find it!) to dry it. As a last step, I windex the glass.

Silver

Washing day

Right. Always wash a cool car (pun intended) in the shade. I also have a soft water spicket in the garage. Makes a difference in cleaning/sudsing/complete rinsing and water spotting. Use cool water and a quality car wash soap to get the contaminants off of the surface. If you wax or glaze your car often bugs ect almost rinse off.

Tom

I prefer to wash in the morning as well - I smell better when I arrive at work:D (sorry folks, it's Friday!)

Seriously, I'm amazed at what I continue to learn on this board. Been washing with warm water in the sun for years.:(

I use good old fashioned Turtle Wash in the big white plastic bottle. I keep the entire car wet until finished then squeegee with a really cool neoprene wedge thang I picked up at GM Carlisle. I think it was called Sham-eeze.

Like everyone else, the car is always cool.

71Shark said:
I keep the entire car wet until finished then squeegee with a really cool neoprene wedge thang I picked up at GM Carlisle. I think it was called Sham-eeze.

I've seen that gadget before and am wondering if it works better than a regular chamois? Or do you need to use the chamois after the wedge??

Barb :w

I use something similar called the California Squeege. It has a silicone edge about 8-10 inches long. Works great. Got it at Target or Wal-Mart for about $12. I no longer user the chamois. Also, I use a car wash soap. I read someplace that soap adds lubrication and helps avoid scratches from dirt that did not come loose during initial rinse.

-Guy

Thanks!

I have seen those squeeges and wondered if they work or not.... think I will give it a try since my chamois' are wearing out... thanks everyone!

I just got the California Water Blade (sounds exactly like the other 2 products mentioned earlier) from Corvette Central a few weeks back and I can't decide if I like it or not.

On one hand, it does seem to work by getting most of the water off the car very easily before you actually dry it with a chamois or cotton towel.

However, on the other side of the coin, it makes these god awful noises at times that make me cringe and think that I'm taking the wax off the paint!

I really haven't decided if I'm gonna keep using it on the corvette. However, it's fabulous for when I'm washing the '92 Grand Marquis! :D

-J.

Good Idea

I know what you mean, I try everything out on the Grand Am before I use it on my "girl".

sleepyhead said:
However, on the other side of the coin, it makes these god awful noises at times that make me cringe and think that I'm taking the wax off the paint!

Hmmm... I've never experienced that problem J. I can't imagine what would cause that noise. :confused

1987 Z51 said:

Hmmm... I've never experienced that problem J. I can't imagine what would cause that noise. :confused

Maybe he's applying too much pressure. With the Sham-eeze I just let it glide across the surface and the water rolls off. The only times I apply any pressure is when I bend it around a body contour but it's neoprene so it just folds right over.

BTW - I'd never use any such thing on a car w/out a good wax job.

Here's what I do.

I always wash in the shade .. cold water and a bit of car wash soap (Guess what kind! lol ). I then dry the entire car with 100% pure cotton bath towels. Never will I use a chamois! I cannot get beyond the fact that if a small piece of dust (rock) is picked up from a wheel well, where can it go on a chamois? .. with the toweling, it can get lost in there. I do own a California Water Blade and use it on the Caddy and the Van but never the Vette. The blade saves a bit of time and about one bath towel per vehicle washing. Again though, if it were to pick up a bit of dirt or dust, no where to go and a scratch will likely be the result! I do not want ANY scratches on the Vette and in all honesty, can't remember when I put one on the other vehicles .. so, I guess it works very well! I'm thinking about investing in a leaf blower, cause I have heard that they work very well to dry off a car.... hmmmmm have to try that soon, now that I think of it!
After every wash, each vehicle gets a Gloss Enhancement treatment. They all look pretty good! The Vette is unreal!

Shop Vac

Tanzanite3

I use my shop vac blower feature, works great ;) also gets all that standing water around the rear window on the 81 out too. Then rub her down with a nice 100% cotton towel.

BudD
:w

Re: Shop Vac

Rare81 said:
Tanzanite3
I use my shop vac blower feature...
Great idea, thanks for the tip!:)

rare81

Hey that is a great idea, I get so frustrated getting her all dried off then tah dah, the frame around the rear window pours water all over!

Great Idea!!

Yup BudD .. I got me one of them Shop Vacs.. just never thought about pluggin the hose in the other hole!! LOL Thanks, you saved me some sheckles!! I'll try it next time fer sure!!

Damn.... you deserve a pint for that one.. here ya go! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom