Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water Leak

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
I have cooling fluid leaking out on top of the motor. It appears it is is thermostate housing gasket leaking but I just replace the thermo and gasket about 10 months ago so I am surprised it would start leaking. I have water leaking out with the motor not running my question is where else could the water be coming from? Could it be leaking out of a intake manifold bolt it leaks with out the engine running and its on top of the motor. Any ideas? I will do the therom gasket again just don't know where else it could be coming from.

Coolant Leak

I"m a bit of a novice, but here is what i would do. First, i would dry everything off. Once it is dry, I would put dry towels around the intake manifold and around the thermostat housing. Let the car sit for a while, and check on the towels. It is leaking from the wet spot.

It is a bit odd that it would leak when the car is off. When the car is running there is pressure in the coolant system, so a bad gasket would leak. If it is leaking when the car is off (and there is minimal pressure) then you have a VERY bad gasket.

It most likely the thermostat housing. I'd probably change it just to make sure. If it is the intake gasket, then i would guess that it is also leaking into the crankcase. You could drain the oil and see if there is coolant.

On the bright side, it is not that hard to replace the intake manifold gasket and even easier to change the thermostat gasket. I wouldn't run it very much until you find the leak. If it is leaking into the oil, and you drive it, then you could do a lot of damage (radiator fluid is not a lubricant).

I'm new, but i'm learning.

Good luck.

watch the top of your engine for about 10-15 min after you shut it off,as there is still pressure in the cooling system,until the engine cools off.It may be as simple as condensation,more likely not.If its leaking after it you shut it off its probably leaking while its running...:ugh

good luck!!!

1.Water pump seep hole, bottom underside of water pump shaft housing. You may be able to feel it, or if you have a small mirror you should be able to see it. If the hole is not real clean, or you get grease on your finger tip feeling it, it may be time for a water pump as the seal is going out.
2. Pull the thermostat housing back off and after cleaning the gasket surface of housing. Put a straight edge across it from bolt hole to bolt hole, it may simply be warped a little. If so, on a flat surface with some 200 sand paper clean it up until it is flat again. If it is to bad replace it. If you have installed a chrome thermostat housing, I have never had any luck sealing them no matter how flat the surface is!
After your engine has come up to operating temp your radiator cap should regulate the internal pressure and if all of the above looks good then I would replace the radiator cap as it may not be regulating properly. The correct cap pressure should operate at 16psi.
Good Luck,
Brian

Well its definitally the thermostate gasket so that is good news. Thanks for all the info and help/.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom