Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water pump gaskets - Help !

MARKSC4

Corvette
1996 Polo Green Coupe
After about 6+ hours work the old pump is out. Had one heck of a time with the middle bolt on the drivers side. After searching found an old thread that said you can get to this bolt, which resides behind two hoses and the power steering pump pulley. Well I got to it, with a short extension, a deep well socket and 2 hours of cussing. Problem is, as I was backing it out, (concentrating so as not to let the socket slip off the bolt) the socket was catching the lip of the pulley and bent the heck out of it :mad . Rented the tool, removed the now scrap pulley, and am finally to square one, the pump is off. New pulley is on order. Whoever said you can get to that bolt without removing the pulley would have to prove it to me.

I learned a lot on this project - especially learned to think twice before tackling this type of project. :hb

Next problem - how do I get the old gaskets off the block? Can't hardly see them, let alone reach anything down through the web of hoses and wires. Is it safe to use the spray on gasket remover? What works best? What should I use to scrape with so I don't gouge the metal?

Many thanks in advance - :w

Hang in there!

We all experience these frustrations when working on our cars. I think the tendency is to only talk about the results and not so much the trials and tribulations we experinced to get there. I have been known to clear my garage, yard and house of family turning the air blue while working on cars.:mad I am learning to just drop the tools and come back to it later.:) I also try to do things removing as little as possible but am learning as well sometimes it's just better to bite the bullet and gett stuff out of the way even if it means removing more stuff. Stay with it. You'll giterdone!:upthumbs

Thanks for the encouraging words guys - I need them.

What I really need to know is how to get the old gaskets off.

I can't see or get anything in to the drivers side especially.

ANY advice would be tremendously appreciated, I'd be done by now if it wasn't for this seemingly trivial problem.

Thanks
Mark

Confused

What side of the engine is the water pump on when standing in front of the car looking at the windshield. On my 93 coupe it is on the left hand side of the engine. I did not actually do the job on mine but watched it being done. The mechanic removed the tensioning pulley and the belts then the water pump. He cleaned up the old gasket using an angle air grinder with what looked like a steel wool pad on it to clean up the surface of the block. The labor charge was for 2 hours. After watching it being done I would not hesitate to do it myself. The only reason I did not do it myself was because I had just had another stay at the Cardiac Hotel. Good luck on the reinstall:v :J

It's exactly on the centerline of the motor.

Here's the old one, it's been seeping quite a while. See the telltale orange crust and the black oxidation streaks coming out of the weephole?

I think I got it in time.

IMG_0785.jpg

It's under here...

IMG_0789.jpg

All back together and ready for cruise night !

Good deal. Looks like you did a great job cleaning it up to. Looks like its ready for the car show!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom