Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Water Pump to crank belt needed???

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
I own a L-48 with AC. In making some changes and cleaning up the engine bay, I removed my AC Compressor, Condenser, and AC belt. When I removed the AC belt I started to encounter this squealing noise when increasing RPM's from idle. My two remaining belts are tight although my alternator is as far as it can be adjusted which is leading me to believe that the belt is stretched but I did not encounter this issue until I removed the AC belt. Do I need to install a belt from the crank to the water pump to compensate for anything? I need some advice on which new alternator belt to purchase and then if I need a crank to water pump belt. Thanks :thumb

I own a L-48 with AC. In making some changes and cleaning up the engine bay, I removed my AC Compressor, Condenser, and AC belt. When I removed the AC belt I started to encounter this squealing noise when increasing RPM's from idle. My two remaining belts are tight although my alternator is as far as it can be adjusted which is leading me to believe that the belt is stretched but I did not encounter this issue until I removed the AC belt. Do I need to install a belt from the crank to the water pump to compensate for anything? I need some advice on which new alternator belt to purchase and then if I need a crank to water pump belt. Thanks :thumb

Try getting a slightly smaller crank/waterpump/alternator belt. One or 2 inches shorter should be fine. I had a similar issue with my 75 and went with a slightly shorter belt to give me more adjustment room on the alternator.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom