Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water pump with bypass 65 vette

65stinger

Corvette
1965 Nassau Blue Conv
This is going to sound stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm rebuiding the motor on my car which is a NOS matching motor, (L76 no air). What is the purpose of using a water pump with a bypass vs using one without and also what is the routing of the hoses using the bypass water pump? Is this original equipment for this engine?

Yes, the bypass water pump, fittings, and hose are correct for both L-76 and L-79 with or without A/C; the bypass provided some protection in the event of thermostat failure. There's an 87-degree elbow fitting that screws into the top of the pump, a straight fitting at the front of the intake, and a 90-degree molded hose and clamps that join them.
:beer

Thanks John, I wasn't sure if it was or not. Also if thats the case where does the second hose from the heater core connect to....I know this is simple, but I've never dealt with a pump with a bypass system.

Thanks again for the help

The 5/8" hose goes from the fitting on the passenger side of the intake to the lower heater core nipple, and the 3/4" hose goes from a long straight fitting on the water pump, located between the two passenger side attaching bolts, to the tee at the expansion tank, and from the other end of the tee to the upper heater core nipple. See Section 1Asm, Sheet E6 in your '65 Assembly Manual for an illustration.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom