Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water pump?

Glide

Corvette
1971 Shark, 1985 C4, 2011 C6, 99 FRC. 66 Coupe
Dad gumit! Had the project vette all tuned up with Platinum plugs, cleaned the throttle body and new brakes and rotors all the way around. Just set the idle and the damn bottom falls out! Anti-freeze everywhere. It got on the belt so I can't tell where it's coming from but once it heated up, it was coming out fast and the radiator was gurgling.

I suspect the water pump case the hoses appear good but I've never seen one go that bad or that fast.

If it is the water pump, does NAPA make a good replacement and would this be a good time to remove the air pump? What is involved in that? Thanks!

Check on the very top of the body of the water pump (on mine it's on the top, I've seen them on the bottom as well)...there's a "weep hole" right there...when the internal seal goes bad the coolant will come out of that hole.

Bill

What's a goose neck? The fan never came on either. Anti freeze was just pouring out the bottom of the motor, getting on the belt going everywhere. I think I've eliminated freeze plugs, thermostat and hoses. Got to be the pump. And right before the Corvette Challange in Richmond. I'm still giong, but not driving...

Anybody remove their AIR pump?

What's a goose neck?
The thermostat housing but if the water is coming from the bottom this is not your problem.

Anybody remove their AIR pump?
If you remove the Air pump you will need an idler pulley in its place. If you disconnect the tubing from the air pump it will remove almost all of the drag. Somebody over on thirdgen.org opened up the AIR pump and removed all of the fins. With the fins removed the pump will be no more than an Idler pulley and may pass a visual inspection at test time.

Hey, thanks for the advice. AIR pump has already been "converted" and my antifreeze leak was just a heater hose. While I was in there I bypassed the throttle body with a heater hose and changed to a 180 thermostat. Does anyone know where the coolant temp sensor is? This controls your warm up RPM so I hope it wasn't in the throttle body. Another 6" of snow yesterday, so a few days before I can get out.

Richmond Drags were a blast and we met a lot of people but most hang out at The Corvette Forum, where I'll probably spend more time.

CAC=19 viewing

Corvette Forum = 124 viewing

at any given time in the C4 section

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom