Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wax and/or polish advice

cajuncorvette

Corvette
1988 Corvette Coupe - Bright Red
I have used a certain brand of polish on my cars for years and have been pleased. Recently, a friend who owns several classic cars told me that polish has little protective values for a paint surface -- that it is mainly a light abrasive to clean/prepare paint. He said I need to polish and then add a high quality wax every four or five months to keep the protection up on the car surface. What do you think? Is it beneficial or necessary to polish and then wax? What method/methods would provide the best results for the look and the protection of the car? Thanks!

Your question might better be answered in the "Care and Detailing" section. As for me, I use Zaino polish. I put it on as per the instructions and usually do 3-4 coats. A couple times a year I clay bar it and then start over with the Zaino. I don't actually use "Wax", just the Zaino. And Zaino claims that their product is non-abrasive.

Thanks! I posted the question in the detailing section. I also use Zaino and am pleased with it. I had never heard of adding wax to the polished surface, so I thought I would ask for opinions. Have a great weekend!

lgqrtac3.jpg

Opinions and more opinions. I think it's what each person likes
or has been exposed to. Personally after eye witnessing this
very Vette back in the late 80's at a vette show and the
test they did to it I have used Liquid Glass since.
They poured brake fluid on the paint and let it sit for
20 mins then they poured battery acid and let it sit.
Each fluid was poured from a unopened container.
Wiped all off and no problems in the paint. With this product
the more coats and bake time the better protection..

Never used it in the body shop but on jobs I have done at home
I would use this after wet sanding and buffing skipping the glaze
stage with excellent results.
The product goes on smooth and comes off even better.

:upthumbs :upthumbs

I have used a certain brand of polish on my cars for years and have been pleased. Recently, a friend who owns several classic cars told me that polish has little protective values for a paint surface -- that it is mainly a light abrasive to clean/prepare paint. He said I need to polish and then add a high quality wax every four or five months to keep the protection up on the car surface. What do you think? Is it beneficial or necessary to polish and then wax? What method/methods would provide the best results for the look and the protection of the car? Thanks!
hey bud im sure you have gotten many replies but ill throw my 2 cents in... 1st buff it with a compound 2nd wipe the whole car with a wet rag 3rd polish it with a light abrasive polish to get out the fine little imperfections 4th wipe it down again, then apply your wax of choice! happy vetting:w

I used Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0 the other day (45 degrees and a beautiful day) and the car looks even better than when I got it and I did not think that wouldl be possible.

Click on My Car Page link below and click on the first four pics to see what I mean. Thoes pics are a day after I waxed it. Then a few pics lower is when I got the car. Compare and be amazed, because I was!

Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0 is the best wax I ever used and it is easy to work on and off with no risk of swirles or scratches if done by hand.

Hope this helps!

I used Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0 the other day (45 degrees and a beautiful day) and the car looks even better than when I got it and I did not think that wouldl be possible.

Click on My Car Page link below and click on the first four pics to see what I mean. Thoes pics are a day after I waxed it. Then a few pics lower is when I got the car. Compare and be amazed, because I was!

Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0 is the best wax I ever used and it is easy to work on and off with no risk of swirles or scratches if done by hand.

Hope this helps!

i switched to zaino this summer but prior to that i used the nxt 2.0 and it was awesome i must agree (and a lot cheaper) after i washed the car with the dawn dish soap as they reccomend to strip off any old polish the water still beaded up like i just put it on that day, i did it again just to get off what i could and it still stood up to it as good as anything i have ever seen. but i gotta say zaino really puts out a great product and the car really looks sharp! even made the cruddy paint on my 82 look awesome in the sun

Zaino. They have made it much easier to maintain with a clear coats spray for maintance. People that look at my ride think I have had it repainted. Just used Zaino and maintained with their products. However if you have scratches, note that you will need a scratch remover, as the regular product has no abrasives.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom