Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wax nostalgic, name 3 cars that you could have bought but didn't

Ok, this was started in the Proteam thread but now we can all vent our spleens about one - three cars that we had a real opportunity to buy (not a $50K car when you made $7K/year) but didn't. Only the truth please.

1. 1965 Shelby GT 350 (excellent driver, all original) in 1976 from the kid across the street (Joey Dennis) for $2000. He begged me to buy it from him as his parents were moving and he couldn't take it with him. I said NAH, I got no room in my Dad's garage and what would I do with three cars.

2. 1967 427/435 vette (vert) for $2500 in 1977. Another excellent driver that I turned down because I was too stupid to know any better.

3. 1964/1965 Cheetah in 2000 for $80,000. This is questionable due to the lack of verification of the car as authentic but I dearly love Cheetahs and regret having missed what probably will be the only time in my life that I will ever be that close to owning one. This is my all time, absolute favorite car.

Best regards,
Gerry

I guess I need to reply to this one my fried Rob bought A Cheetah I believe it was around 1972 or 73 when I was still racing a GT6 Triumph. He paid less that $2000. for it. The guy was tired of racing it. I would like to have that car now. I don't know where Rob is now.

I guess I need to reply to this one my fried Rob bought A Cheetah I believe it was around 1972 or 73 when I was still racing a GT6 Triumph. He paid less that $2000. for it. The guy was tired of racing it. I would like to have that car now. I don't know where Rob is now.

All these Cheetah stories are KILLING me:cry . Thanks for the pain:eyerole.

Best regards,
Gerry

back when I was building engines and repairing cars as a serious part time and at times a full time income,I was offered at differant times

a REAL 1967 AC cobra for $6800 less than a year old in 1969 when a guy could not make the payments

A REAL 1970 hemi cuda for $4000, same thing, guy needed money , lost the car to the bank

a REAL 1965 GTO for $2500, busted transmission, guy just wanted take over ballance on the payments in 1970

I REALLY wish I could have afforded them at the time.....but I was making payments on both a house and investment property , plus normal expences at the time

O.K...
An old school, all steel 32 ford 3 window with a 392 for $13.000
A 55 Corvette with 23k original miles for $10K. I was very proud of my self, had it in my garage and tuned it up for the guy. Never took any pics.
A 57 210 2dr sedan with a 396/4spd and a straight axle $1600.

Shoulda kept ?
'65 GTO, tri power, 4spd, convert,
My old '57 Chev Wagon. 283 2v 3spd floor shift, got rubber into 3rd all the time.
'38 Chev Coupe 454/4spd.
One owner '58 Impala, perfect.
Jeezzzz, I could go on and on, rust free '57 ford 2dr sedan, I would LOVE to build that car today.

In early 70's I passed on an MGA for $800

In 77 I passed on a 66 Jaguar XKE because it was a coupe rather than a vert...600 smackers, a divorce sale

And, in 1993 I passed on a basket case 1970 LT1. Guy only wanted a grand for it and I was stupid about LT1s at the time... But it was a numbers match car, just all apart as he quit the resto... (I heard later that a vette shop offered him 2500 for it...SOLD!)

Wax nostalgic, name 3 (or4)

67 GTO 400/auto, $50, dash and all the wiring was sitting on the front seat, parents would not let me keep at home.
68 Olds 442 400/auto, $500, totally orig/stock, did not like the body style then.
68 Chevelle SS 396/auto, $400, friend had spent $$$ to rebuild engine and it would not turn over let alone start, see#1 as to why I did not buy (turned out just dead battery & spark plugs in wrong order)
I have to mention a 70 Buick 455 GS/auto, $250, I was a renter and landlady would not let me keep in driveway. Sign on car said "won't start", after opening hood I observed it had a small carb fire and most of the plug wires were not connected!
The first 3 were around 1975-77 and the last was around 1984.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom