Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

We Lost Another Racer from the Glory Days

Z07coupe

Corvette
1992 Z07 coupe:1993 Ruby coupe: 1990 Racer
Bob Johnson 1927-2012

'Marietta Bob' Johnson passed away on Monday, May 7, 2012, in Marietta, Ohio. Bob is well known in the racing community, having driven some of the most notable Corvettes ever raced. Bob's driving career started at age 36 racing Doug Bergen's 1966 427 Corvette Coupe. He won his very first race at Cumberland, MD, with this car, and finished the season with 7 A Production race wins in his first year of racing Corvettes. Bob went on to drive the 1968 L88 (number 12 car) and the 1969 L88 (number 3 car), both cars also owned by Doug Bergen. In 1970, Doug quit the race car owner business, but Bob continued racing with legends such as 'Columbus Bob' Johnson, Don Yenko, John Greenwood, Dave Heinz, and Toye English. In 1972, Bob drove a Corvette for Fred Semon and won the SCCA Central Division title and then placed third in the SCCA National Finals.

Bob is probably best known for driving the number 4 LeMans racer in 1972, which is on display at Mike Yager's MY Museum in Effingham, IL, and the # 57 Rebel car while sharing the time behind the wheel with Dave Heinz. Bob and Dave were clocked lap after lap hurtling down the Mulsanne Straight at 211 mph. In 1973, Bob and Dave Heinz placed first in class and third overall at the 6 Hours of Daytona and first in class and second overall at Sebring. Bob also co-drove with John Greenwood at LeMans in 1973-1974.

As a friend of Bob's, it is very sad to learn of his passing. I relish my time spent with Bob and Doug and thoroughly enjoyed the hours spent listening to the stories of the Glory Days of Corvette racing. We will miss Bob greatly, but will always remember his contribution to the history of Corvette racing.

'Marietta Bob' Johnson SHOULD be in the National Corvette Museum...

That's all I got to say about that!!!

Yes Bob carried the Corvette Colors to many victories and represented our "Hobby" as a RACER and Hobby Enthusiast...with honor and distinction.

May his memories live on for ever within the RACING WORLD and the CORVETTE WORLD :thumb

Thanks for letting everyone know :thumb

Bud

RIP to a vintage hero.

Paul, I know that he was an influence on you. He will be missed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom