Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WEAR ON REAR TIRE

CHARLES

Corvette
1998 torch red coupe
Can someone tell me why i can get only about 12,000 miles out of my right rear tire it always wears out in the middle of the tread , while the outside could have as much as 3/4 of tread left . NO TIRE SPIN EVER , i am the only one who has driven it. pressure is kept at 28 psi cold 98 TORCH RED COUPE;help

REAR TIRE WEAR

FACTORY WHEELS, SAME SIZE THAT CAME ON CAR FROM FACTORY GOODYEAR EMT RUNFLATS

Your a little light on air ,It should say 30 psi cold on the door .Second for max tire life camber should be 0 degrees.If you can find Old Dog send him a PM for the spec.for max tire life.

I got 33,000 on my factory set and this second set hopefully will hit 40,000 plus.

Check out http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/ .
He has alignment checks for the do-it-yourselfer om his website, and you might be able to get a handle on what your problem is from those.
Andy :w

Can someone tell me why i can get only about 12,000 miles out of my right rear tire it always wears out in the middle of the tread , while the outside could have as much as 3/4 of tread left . NO TIRE SPIN EVER , i am the only one who has driven it. pressure is kept at 28 psi cold 98 TORCH RED COUPE;help
Well,If it's waring in the middle of the tire,and it is the Correct Wheel and Correct Tire it has to be over Inflation!!! No Alignment Issue will ware just the Center of the Tire!!What are you using for a Tire gage???(I use a Quality Digital Gage)If you are using the Tire monitoring system in the "DIC" in the car that is probly your problem,it is only as good as when it was calibrated!!Over Inflation will ware the Center and Under Inflation will ware the Inside and Outside!!! Under Inflation can make them Over inflate on a long run because of Heat!!!Factory calls for 30 lb regular driving conditions and 35 lb Competitive or High speed Conditions!!!This is something I have Experimented with on my personal car,I run my tires at 33 front 31 rear and get even tire ware across the tire,and after about 50 miles I have 36 all the way around!! If I run 30 lb all the way around,I have 39 front and sometimes as much as 42 in the rear (Dew to Heat)!!! I also have changed my alignment settings from factory settings(I don't need a bunch of + caster,I rarely drive over 140 anyway!!) to L front 6 deg + caster, 0 deg camber, R front 6.20 deg + caster, 0 deg camber, 1/32 tow in Lt rear 0 camber, R rear 0 camber, 0--1/64 tow in!! This will alleviate Bump Steer and Scalloping of the inside of the front tires,and get Optimum Tire ware! "WARNING" This will make the car a HANDFUL above 140 MPH!!!! :upthumbs

Well,If it's waring in the middle of the tire,and it is the Correct Wheel and Correct Tire it has to be over Inflation!!!

That was my thought too.

Get a good gauge and double check the TPM- it just might be off on that tire.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom