Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weather Stripping

stratosjohn

Corvette
1976 coupe & 1987 convertible
Need some advice on how the windshield and front pillar weather stropping is replaced on a 1987 covertible. Got the materials just need some help on how to, and where to start. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I'm not sure if the verts are the same as the coupe. I have a coupe and just did mine.

There are four plastic retainers (smooth pointed shaft with a flat head), one at each corner of the windshield frame. The bottom two can only be seen with the doors open. I used a pair of side cutters to get under the head and pry them out, but was very careful not to close the jaws and cut through the shaft.

Then there is a channel that runs along each side of the windshield frame, and one long one across the top of the frame. The weatherstripping fits down in the channel and just pulled out though there was some weatherstrip adhesive that had to be cleaned out.

I also removed the interior trim around the windshield frame to give better access. My original weatherstrip was in bad shape so I had some surface rust that had to be cleaned up and side channels were loose and had to be reattached.

I didn't use any adhesive or silicone the first time I put it on until I saw whether it fixed all of my leaks (it didn't). I've had it off twice since then to use silicone and adhesive to seal up the upper corners to keep water from getting past the seal under my top.

Good luck, I haven't found much written help for doing weatherstripping.

weather stripping

Thanks for the reply. I'm also finding little about the weather stripping. I feel I can do the work just need to know what to look for. Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom