Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Weatherstripping

wilton

Corvette
'89 Black Sapphire

Who has the best deal on quality weather stripping right now?:confused Any suggestions?:W

Pretty much can't beat Wilcox for quality and price......anytime, not just right now!

I bought a complete weatherstrip set two weeks ago from Lone Star Car Parts for way cheap. Got them in an am awaitng for the paint to dry on the car before I install them but they looked excellent. Restoration Parts, Seat Covers, Carpet, WeatherStrip Seals for your Classic Ride| Lonestar Car Parts

Qty Item Unit Price Total Price
1993 CORVETTE 7PC WEATHERSTRIP KIT - eBay190326550751 - Price: $339.95

$339.95

Hello Brian,

was the quality of the Lonestar Wetherstrips Ok ?

Thanks
Raimund

Yessir the quality is superb. I have had them on the car since last August and I cannot complain about anything with this transaction. I would reccomend them heartily for quality, price and customer service.

Good information to know as I am in NEED NEED NEED of all new weatherstrip for my 93

Hmmm, so whats the overall opinions of mentioned weatherstripping vendors, this i because my stuff is sry rotted to hell and desperately needs to be replaced, do they all have a good fit, seal and finish?

I am not sure who the mfg is for the kit that I bought, but it fit perfectly and is absolutely tight. The cabin is now so tight that I have to leave the passenger side window down a hair or the driver door glass tries to pop outward. Now I have to do some door work and get the glass solid and new seals in place. Rain, wind, leaks, all a thing of the past.
The kit came via Corvette America catalog.

this stuff that I got was soft and very flexable. I too had dry rotted stuff that had to be ground out with a wire wheel. The new fit in so well that most did not get glued down.

I think it might have been Lone Star parts who supplied.

Boomdriver,

I feel your pain (or is it pleasure). With the Lone Star kit I got this car is tight. Women have to be encouraged to close the door with vigor or it doesn't close entirely due to the competence of the seals. Even with all the noise I allowed with the chambered exhaust (damn noisy but very nice) I get reduced noise in the cabin when I roll the windows up!

No leaks. Used a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive put on both the seals and the seal surface (applied with a dope brush form Lowe's) and they don't move and have stayed put since installation.

After rereading my posting above I did remember what might be a negative. The weatherstrip kit has a smell that is not unpleasant but pervasive (chemical odor). After some weeks of expecting it to dissipate I washed it with soapy water. Smells were reduced about 95%. After I washed it off I found the stickiness of the seal a little much to let my passenger window roll up all the way to the top. I presumed the prior slipperiness (before washing) was a byproduct of whatever they used as a release agent free them from the molds during manufacture. So I sprayed some silicone onto a rag and wiped it down. Worked OK for a couple weeks. Got difficult again. Then I figured out that the Black Magic gloss fluid that one uses on the blackwall on the tires has much more viscous properties than aerosol sprayed silicone. Be a little generous and after an hour wipe off the excess and you cannot get it onto your clothes or even to leave a mark on the window. Hell then wipe it on your tires!

Now to defend the seals (and justify not fixing the window right now), I know the motor for the window is weak and I need to replace it but I am awaiting a hard failure before replacing it.

Again, you cannot go wrong with this company! They are good folks to talk with and more importantly they do what they said they would do, when they said they would do it!

Brian Smith
Flower Mound, Texas

Brian,
on the note regarding the use of some form of silicone shine or similar type product, armour-all has a gel that I used in the same way. Once my seals were installed and where they needed to be, I wiped (smeared) a coat of this gel on the exposed surfaces and allowed it to penetrate, then wiped off the excess. This kept doors from sticking, and allowed windows to glide a little easier. I also have a window motor thats on its way out...
The biggest reason for lubing the seals was to prevent anything from sticking to them and pulling them out of the tracks since I used little or no 3M.
Glad to hear they worked for you as well. I was pretty surprized at the perfect fit.

Spring area... a little N of Houston.
I remember Flower Mound...just cannot recall where that is. I lived in Ca since 1980 and just returned to Tx the last cpl yrs.

And yeah, I know exactly which smell you are describing on that rubber..

I know right where Spring is. Had a guy that worked for me once lived there. Yeah Flower Mound is about halfway between Dallas and Denton.

yeah, Ok, I lived in grapevine yrs ago before escaping to Ca right after the great Texas S&L collapse...

I did'nt know how good I had it living up there by the lake, right between Ft Worth & Dallas...
Of course all I had back then was a well worn Camero with Crager SS rims and some fat $50 tires...:L

wow.!
I just saw a nice one....yellow w/black stripe. This was at a local "cruise-in" with everything from 62 vettes to ZR-1 and ZO-6's...lots of classic mopar stuff there as well. Saw an ALL original 79 T/A with less than 50K on the clock...Love the muscle cars from that era.

Mine was a little newer,. 70 or 72ish...I forget. Crager SS were the hot ticket back then were'nt they? That and 8 tracks...lol, that T/A still had the 8 track as did a couple other cars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom