Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weed-eater Outrage!

Gersh

Corvette
"06 Z06, Kawasaki ZZR, "66 supercharged Chev 489
I have had my new Z06 for exactly 3 weeks today. I drive it to work nearly every day, and did on a nice nearly-spring morning today. I park close to the office, and when I looked out about 11:00, there was a landscaper weed-eating just in front of my car--actually one foot away from the front bumper. I went out to see the front of the car (partly) covered with vegetation, and lost it! He said "we'll use the leafblower to clean it off", and I said "No, what you're going to do is lose your job!"

Anyway, I called the landscape company and their owner came out making excuses, like "look, there's a spot of dirt behind your rear tire, and that's worse for the paint than the vegetation". Before I could stop them, they were wiping the trash off the car. It is less than 60 days from the factory, which means the paint is not fully hardened, and is more easily scratched.

What do you think? Did I over-react? Were they being incredibly stupid, or incredibly rude, or maybe it was OK? Any opinions?
Gersh

I think they won't do that again without thinking. To bad the first time they did it had to be your car. I think it sucks and would have been just as mad.

I think you over reacted, I would have just ran down checked for scratches and moved my car away from the area getting weed wacked. Though your feelings were justified.

If you drive your new Z-06 to work eveyday, this should be the least of your problems. Dirt and road debris can do more damage.

Yeah- Its easy for me to say that knowing that my Vette is sitting inside my garage under the cover.

Good luck with the new ride.

The problem is 99% of people think of them as "Only Cars" I drive my C5 most every day and Its got its share of road dings.
My Wife gets mad at me when I park way out in parking lots and you know what it never fails there is always someone parked near when you go out to get in your car. I try to park on the end of the row so only one side is exposed to other cars.
Keep driving every day use the car the way it was meant to be used!:upthumbs

I'd be ****ed too, but you know how when you go to the mall and you don't take that spot close to the entrance that's a tight fit between two crap-can junkers?? Well, maybe the same thing applies to your parking lot, like keep the car out of harm's way (as best you can) and a side benefit might be a little extra exercise for the longer walk to the office. Just my opinion.....

Tough Call

Over react?.I think not. Having a landscape company with enough brains to respect a high priced automobile, probably way too much to ask for. These guys/gals make minimum wage and are usually pushed to get as much done as is inhumanly possible in a day. I would NOT have let them touch the car in any way but simply hosed the debris off asap and made it a point not to leave my car in that situation ever again although it's too late now. Sorry to hear of your occurance and I hope it's not something that did any damage.

Same thing happened to a former co-worker who had an '87. He used to park in the same "handicapped" spot everyday, right in sight of the security desk. Nobody in the facility was handicapped, and there were several HC spots, so they let him park there.

One beautiful spring day the landscaping crew came out with their blowers and "hand" sweepers (they're like a brush w/motor that really kick the sand up, and out in any direction they want) and really kicked up a sand storm. There was sand everywhere, including all over Steve's '87. I actually got a kick out of it because I thought it served him right for parking there every day, but he flipped out. I mean, he wanted the whole crew fired, and they didn't even work for us. He also placed blame on the security people who were nice enough to let him slide when parking his car there.

But I don't blame you for being p*ssed. Sounds like you were parked legally, and the crew just didn't have a clue. I hoipe all is well with your car and the paint. That really s*cks.

Corvettes are living ,breathing things with feelings.I understand your feelings also ,but i think you might have over reacted a little. Sorry.

Gersh said:
I have had my new Z06 for exactly 3 weeks today. I drive it to work nearly every day, and did on a nice nearly-spring morning today. I park close to the office, and when I looked out about 11:00, there was a landscaper weed-eating just in front of my car--actually one foot away from the front bumper. I went out to see the front of the car (partly) covered with vegetation, and lost it! He said "we'll use the leafblower to clean it off", and I said "No, what you're going to do is lose your job!"

Anyway, I called the landscape company and their owner came out making excuses, like "look, there's a spot of dirt behind your rear tire, and that's worse for the paint than the vegetation". Before I could stop them, they were wiping the trash off the car. It is less than 60 days from the factory, which means the paint is not fully hardened, and is more easily scratched.

What do you think? Did I over-react? Were they being incredibly stupid, or incredibly rude, or maybe it was OK? Any opinions?
Gersh
sometimes its not easy owning a vette. you want to drive it everywhere and enjoy it and then something like this happens.this is why i resort to using my daily driver for work and going to stores and keeping the vette as a weekend toy for cruzing.its a shame but people just dont care and do stuptid and careless things like this......good luck

Over Reacted !

Welcome to the "real world" !

If no damage was done except a few blades of grass on your car,----

Yes, you over-reacted.

No I don't think you over reacted!

2000BGAZ516-SpdVert.jpg

The Corvette Plant has rocks around the Corvette Parking Area to keep mowers away from the Corvettes. I would get some grass settle on my Corvette from drifting but it wasn't thrown at it! :ugh

A new Z06? I probably would have said something too. It seems like every time I drive my vette to work, I come out and find the dang landscaping crew with their leafblowers in full swing. All I've done so far is given them a dirty look. I still can't figure out if they're just clueless or spiteful.

Your paint is probably ok though.

the person thats in charge of the crew could of a least told the workers "try not to get grass or debris on the peoples cars", if it was a FERRARI , LAMBO or VIPER they would of paid close attention, I guess it didnt matter since it was just a VETTE (our cars are just good as theirs no matter what year), I hate it when people dont respect other peoples property.

For crying out loud, what would you have liked them to do? Not mow a strip around YOUR car and then have a complaint about the crew not completing their contracted obligations to maintain the grounds?
Yeah, I think you over-reacted. It was grass. (sticks and rocks would be another matter entirely!) They have to mow and grass/dirt flies when it gets mowed, no matter how careful someone is. Don't park there on lawn-care days.
I sometimes think we get too hung up on the Corvette "thing". There certainly is a mistique about them, I love my vette, and everything it stands for; beauty, power, history and a goal achievement...but after some serious health concerns my priorities in life have changed. My philosophy about the vette now, is, "Chips Happen. Just drive it."
Enjoy your vette how you want to enjoy it. If you want to enjoy it in a pristine condition, you're gonna have to take extra steps to protect it.
Heidi

No I don’t think you overreacted! It is very common place today not to be concerned about other peoples property. It should not matter if the car is a new Corvette or an old Falcon, it is someone else’s property and deserves respect as such. If your car was damaged in any way present the landscaping company a bill for complete repair. These people need to be more careful and learn to properly use their power tool (or do it by hand)

Just a tad

Well I know this would tick me off. I have a 97 Celica which has scratches on the front bumper from where one of the mower jockey’s flying along in a hurry ran off the grass and hit the bumper. This can be the only thing as it is a private lot, angled parking with grass above the curb. Unfortunately I did not see it happen, but found out when I went to go home. Do you think the grass crew informed anyone?

I got lucky though one day and saw them hit another’s car, yes I ratted them out. Too many people just do not care anymore.

But it is a parking lot, not your driveway...precautions must be taken to protect your own vehicle...
Yes, I agree that other people's property should be respected, but we all know how little many people care for other's things, especially the nice things someone has worked hard for...the "me-first" and the "it-isn't-mine-so-why-should-I-care" attitudes prevail in our society and we must always be on our guard.
Heidi

Over-reacted?

A lot of good points... I was pretty ticked off at the time. But I went home and cleaned and looked, and there is either no damage or minimal damage. I re-thought the stupidity possibility also, and they are smart enough to operate gas powered equipment, so I think it's not stupidity--they just don't care about other people's property. In this case, they weren't even doing a lawn; they were cutting planted flowers in flowerbeds using weed-eaters with blades.

Several people here raised the issue about a driver vs. a garage/show car. I agree with that one. My last Corvette got driven most everywhere--gravel roads if I had to, even through a harvested corn field once when a mobile home was wedged across the country road. No major damage ever, but the paint isn't perfect, and to be honest, the new car won't be new forever either. However, it is only 3 weeks old and does not yet have the first scratch or tiny ding, so I was more protective, I guess.

Gersh

Overreacted? Who knows, I'm sure the guy you reacted on thinks so. I would have been hot myself but I have mellowed a lot the last few years and probably would have backed out and stewed a while about all the things I should've said and done:eyerole.

This makes me glad I get to park in a reserved wide end spot in a covered garage at work. It's on the third floor so no lawn equipment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom