Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weird Electrical Problem in 91

jfactor

Corvette
91 Turquoise (Turquoise Metallic) Stock
I just got my 91 Vette (this past Saturday) and have noticed a small problem. Hopefully small. I got into this car knowing I was going to be fixing a few things here and there so I'm not exactly worried, but would like to take care of it. So, here's the prob:

I turn on the car, set my radio stations, and drive to my heart's content. I stop, turn it off, and if the car is off for more than about 2 minutes, when I turn the radio back on all the stations are reset. Almost as if there is no remote power going to the radio when it's off. No dead battery so far (though I probably wouldn't know. I haven't stopped driving the thing yet. I'm like a giddy school girl in this car). Nothing else electrical seems to be failing.

I think this is related, but when I turn the wheel, moving or not, every once in a while all the interior lights will come on. It happens for just a split second, and I can't recreate it on purpose, but it happens a lot. About 10 times in the last 3 days.

I'm mechanically inclined, just not mechanically intelligent, so again I'm not too worried. I'm actually kinda happy there is this "problem." It will give me a chance to get in there and play with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Obviously you have a short somewhere on the steering column. Remove the compartment under the steering wheel and check the harnesses that may be rubbing. On the radio from what I remember after installing a few there are two fuses, one for constant power for the radio and the other for power to the radio via ignition. Probably is related and the fuse may be blown on the power to the radio when car is off. Hope this helps and I hope you find it!

Check your grounds. If one lifts, all kind of wierd things happen. Try to get a shop manual and that will show the wiring diagrams and the grounds. The Vett being fiberglass has limited places to gound circuits.

Thanks,
Radar :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom