Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Well dang, my headlight started acting up

Blu ByU

Corvette
'04 CE LeMans Blue Coupe, 1978 Pace Car
I always joked to my wife that I don't like to drive the Vette at night because I don't want my headlights going bad. I put on a new SLP CAI unit and my wife wanted to test drive it - you guessed it, at night! She even joked that I was letting her do it, she flipped the switch and wouldn't you know it, the left lamp wouldn't flip all the way! These have been totally problem free until now. I tinkered with it a bit, and now it will open all the way, but much slower than the right side, but it still will not close all the way. Any ideas on the first thing I should check?

It's your Delrin bushings. You can order them online at Mid-America Motorworks (MAM) or Ecklers. I think they run $4.99 to $7.99 plus shipping.

Or, you can purchase nylon bushings at your local parts store that sells "HELP" / "MOTORMITE" brand items.

They are the same for Ford truck window regulators. About $6.00-$8.00 per side at the parts stores. Look for Motormite parts # 74410.

Finally, you can purchase them from Home Depot Stores. Ask for item number 595609. The UPC code on the package is 30699 87278. You'll need 3 packs of 2 each for a total of six spacer to repair both lights.

I installed Home Depot bushings in my '92 three years ago and haven't had any problems. I purchased them for .69 cents for a package of three.

However, I feel it is only fair to warn you that other 1988-96 Vette owners installed them only to have them fail due to being crushed by the headlight motor gear after only a few cycles of opening and closing the lights.

I have not personally used the Motormite bushings, either, but so far, I have not heard of any problems with them. I'm just trying to suggest cheaper alternatives to you if you can't wait for the O.E.M. Delrin bushings to ship.

Click this link for installation help and good luck! :beer

http://corvettefever.com/howto/33098/

Thank you very much for the help and info!! This DB is the best. :beer

onedef92 said:
No problem. That's what it's all about.

So true, I just hope I'll be knowledgable enough someday to help a fellow forum member myself! Got the bushings, got intructions printed off, and a neighbor (and fellow Vette owner) is going to help me fix the problem. Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom