Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

well if it was that fast, why didn't it ever run???

*89x2*

:eyerole Ohhh boy....

Description

427 C5-R Lingenfelter wide body twin turbo- signed dated and documented as only 427 wide body ever built. Wide body designed by John Lingenfelter for increased high speed stability and part of "Project 255"- John Lingenfelter's special project to create a car to exceed the record he set in the "Sledgehammer" Corvette. Engine- custom 7.0 liter C5-R aluminum blueprinted block, custom ported and polished heads, computer balanced rotating assembly Garrett T-28 turbo chargers, custom exhaust manifolds and headers, high capacity fuel delivery system with custom injectors, heavy duty aluminum radiator with internal oil cooler. Custom B & B tri-flow stainless steel cat back exhaust, and custom chrome engine compartment. Transmission: Rossler heavy duty automatic, Yank 3400 stall torque converter, Getrag 3.42 rear and Hutchkis sway bars, Penske double adjustable six position shocks, wheels and brakes: HRE 540- 18" X 9.5" front and 19" X 13" rear, Baer 4 piston calipers with 13.5" two piece rotors front and rear. Safety: chrome Moly half cage with Simpson 5-point harnesses, cage covered in leather to match custom embroidered leather interior and floor mats. Custom dash with Z06 300 MPH speedometer and special neon interior lighting. Winner of multiple national awards- cover and centerfold car in "Corvette Lifestyles" and featured in "Corvette Fever" and the Corvette Enthusiast Coffeetable Book- "This Old Corvette." One of the finest examples of John Lingenfelter's design and performance engineering abilities and genius.

...and you can buy this "estimation of performance" this week at:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1357

Interesting car, but not very attractive. The rear bumper and exhaust are nice, but the front bumper is heavily ugly in my honest opinion. It reminds me of a NASCAR stock car's appearance.

Interesting that they say Lingenfelter built the Sledgehammer... gotta love inaccuracies.

This is the car I like most on B-J though... beautiful in every way...
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=717

Chris,
This was John's personal project!
He died before he had a chance to make the run.

Chris,
This was John's personal project!
He died before he had a chance to make the run.

I wonder what that car would have run :confused

Thanks for the background info :cool I talked to the owner at a Corvette show a few years ago and while he was not the least bit impressed with any of the Callaways there, he was quick to say his car was the fastest Corvette and was going to beat the Sledge's record with the car.

It was a "local car" and am surprised it is for sale.

Oh man, I am going out on a limb here, so forgive me if I am wrong.

I heard (from a former Callaway employee) that John Lingenfelter helped Callaway with the development of the Sledgehammer, and the SN program. I also heard that his shop was a subcontractor to Callaway for the SN400 heads in the early days. I heard this from John Lingenfelter's brother shortly after his death. I also heard that John drove the SH on its 254.76 mph run.

I could be wrong on all of these, and don't want to start any wars, but I don't think anybody can dismiss JL's role in the development of SC Chevy horsepower.

A

Yes that is correct. He did drive and helped develop the Sledgehammer engine. I don't know about the SN program.:beer

With only 3 topic till today, shouldn't this threat be in the Lingenfelter forum? ;)

Groeten Peter.

Peter, it was placed here, due to the Sledgehammer referance ;shrug

Re: the Sledge. The story can be read here:

It is indeed true that John Lingenfelter drove the car to its record speed. It is also true that neither of the two engines they supplied, lasted more than a few test sessions and they had to be completely rebuilt - and were done so by Callaway Cars staff, not JL. :W

Regarding the heads. There is a machine in the main machine shop, front & center. It is a Serdi machine for performing tasks such as head machining, etc.
Now who came up with the original head that was then sampled for this, :confused

BTW, w/ fees, it sold for $79200.00 at the auction.

Look at the C5 beside my TT. Thats the C5 TT before the "wide body" was added. The owner is a nice guy from MD. That picture was from a show in 2000 in Gaithersburg MD. We had a blast bench racing each other.

:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom