Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Went for my Saturday morning drive

G Winter said:
That would mean clearing away 3 ft deep snow drift for about 100 ft just to get it out. :ugh
:w

This is a lot of snow. For sure I could not have a Vette winter beater in these circumstances.
8_2_99.gif

coolhandluke said:
Why did I lick on this Thread!!!!!!!

No corvette should be driven in the Snow!!!!!!!!!!

If you get stuck your going to have a really fun time getting your vette unstucked with it being lowered.

Thats just crazy.

:W :W :cry :cry :cry :crazy

No corvette should be driven in the Snow? Really where did you find that tidbit? I really love the ...and if you get stuck..... what kind of excuse is that not to drive. You sound like my grandmother! I haven't but if I do it won't be a big deal.
These are AUTOMOBILES they have roll up windows, weather stripping, heaters, defrosters, and wipers. That means they can get wet, and go in the cold. They won't shrink, or melt if they get wet.

Mike

vette747 said:
I feel more protected in a vette than in some other small cars, well unless a big pickup truck. If it appends, I collect the insurance and buy an other vette.
SmilyTasmanianDevil.gif
Vette 747
Looks like we have the same mentality when it comes to these cars, they are cheap and there is a but ton of them out there! If my Vette ends up in C4 Valhalla there is no need to gnash teeth and mourn, I will drink a cold one in its honor and take the insurance check and move on.
Last night when I went to pick up my daughter from her party, I saw a C5 out and about. It was good to know that at least one C5 owner has a big enough pair to drive his car! I saw late model Mustangs all day long and a couple of Firebirds however, no Camaros and not another C4.
The party my daughter went to was about 15 miles away so I drove at least sixty miles in the snow and ice yesterday just on the two round trips for her.

...AND I SURVIVED with no drama!

Mike

aboatguy said:
Vette 747
Looks like we have the same mentality when it comes to these cars,

Yes, there are a few of us out there. C4 is my daily winter driver, but C5 is also good in the snow. Oops! I hope I do not offend too many Vette owners....

Picture from last winter on a frozen river....
ValleyfieldGlaceS2020020-19-02-2005-11.JPG

my first "new" car was a 66 vette. with snow tires on,it went where most other cars couldnt imagine. always thought good weight distrib and posi did it. most vettes had ski racks back then.

used to be young and foolish---some things have changed, some not.

today i run 2 beaters (wife drives), an lt1 roadie in fair weath, vette only on clear,daylight(no deer)...where are those clear plastic seatcovers?

coolhandluke said:
Why did I lick on this Thread!!!!!!!

I think you meant click, right? :D

I would hate to have anyone leave here with a bad taste in their mouth! ;) ;LOL

stearnman said:
I think you meant click, right? :D

I would hate to have anyone leave here with a bad taste in their mouth! ;) ;LOL

It's winter you get it!!!!;LOL

you don't lick any thing cold or metel .;LOL

outch....

aboatguy,

You’ll probably receive additional flack about driving a Vette in the winter. Hang in there, throw on your armored vest and helmet. It’s CAC tradition that the Corvettes in the Snow posts starts this time of year. Sidebar: I ran into Dave McLellan at Bob McDormans’ Corvette show in September, he told me his Polo Green ZR-1 is his daily driver. Mr. McLellan’s Z had personalized Michigan license plates, I’m pretty sure it snows up that way.

I have been driving Corvettes since 1992, I’ve had four C4’s since 92. Up until two years ago, I’ve driven my Corvettes in every condition Ohio has to offer. I have found that the manual does quite well in the snow conditions. I’ve never had any problems with ice or getting stuck, just takes concentration and experienced driving skills.

Admittedly, two years ago I tucked my LT4 away. I’ve been super detailing since it’s retirement from road duty. I want to enter it in NCRS judged events as soon as it’s eligible.

I have a beater now, I miss driving the Vette year round. My consolation is that it’s as clean as the day it came off the line in Bowling Green and I don’t have to worry about others wrecking into me.

Is your vert a auto or six-speed and do you have a guesstimate as to how much your hard top weighs? You need two people to put the hard top on I imagine.

B17Crew

B17Crew said:
aboatguy,

You’ll probably receive additional flack about driving a Vette in the winter. Hang in there, throw on your armored vest and helmet. It’s CAC tradition that the Corvettes in the Snow posts starts this time of year. Sidebar: I ran into Dave McLellan at Bob McDormans’ Corvette show in September, he told me his Polo Green ZR-1 is his daily driver. Mr. McLellan’s Z had personalized Michigan license plates, I’m pretty sure it snows up that way.

I have been driving Corvettes since 1992, I’ve had four C4’s since 92. Up until two years ago, I’ve driven my Corvettes in every condition Ohio has to offer. I have found that the manual does quite well in the snow conditions. I’ve never had any problems with ice or getting stuck, just takes concentration and experienced driving skills.

Admittedly, two years ago I tucked my LT4 away. I’ve been super detailing since it’s retirement from road duty. I want to enter it in NCRS judged events as soon as it’s eligible.

I have a beater now, I miss driving the Vette year round. My consolation is that it’s as clean as the day it came off the line in Bowling Green and I don’t have to worry about others wrecking into me.

Is your vert a auto or six-speed and do you have a guesstimate as to how much your hard top weighs? You need two people to put the hard top on I imagine.

B17Crew

I have an auto, however, I installed a D44 with 3.45 to add a little low end grunt. The roof is pretty light I carry it out to the car by myself and then have one of my kids help me install it on the car. (I can't align it by myself and don't want to scratch the car up trying to!)

G Winter said:
I would be worried about the wide tires. You are trying to push an awfull lot of snow with them. When it comes to driveing in snow I would much rather have narrower tires. That being said, on ice I would rather have the wide tires. Around here driving the vette in winter is risky because you can have 6 to 12 in of snow with little warning.And often that is with 30 mph winds. I just don't think your going to buck any snowbanks with a vette.If the roads are dry[a lot of salt used here]I would take it out if I was sure of the weather. That would mean clearing away 3 ft deep snow drift for about 100 ft just to get it out. :ugh I think it will just stay sit till the snow melts.:( aboatguy, I challange you or anyone to come to NW Iowa and try having a vette for your daily driver all winter long.More often then not your gonna be looking for another mode of transportation.
Glenn
G Winter I did not want to come to Colorado Springs, and I am anxiously waiting for my orders back to sea level. So I am sure that I will not be going to IOWA. However, I am not going to let a little precipitation rule my life. I drove a 454 SS in the snow for years and the C4 beats that car hands down as a snow mobile.
Good luck in IOWA if I had to shovel 100 ft to get the car to the road I guess my vette would be parked closer to the road and I would have to undo my drop so that it had some more ground clearance.
The highs have been below freezing so the roads are still icy, however, it is supposed to snow again tomorrow so there may be more pics, if I remember to bring the camera to work. (Snow expected in PM while I am at work)
:lou

Mike

You guys must not have any salt on your roads out there. Here in New York all you have to do is drive a Corvette for one winter and the bottoms of the doors rot out, the frame under the doors start to go because the salt goes in the holes on either side of the door. We have lots of cars that need frames here. That's the first thing we all look for when we go to buy a used one.
One thing though, you never see a Vette in any junkyards here either.
Anyway, if you want to drive it in the snow, God Bless ya! Have fun! Mine is parked in the garage right next to the snowblower and the 4X4 Blazer. ;)
Mike

That requires a lot of maintenance. Before the winter, I remove the spare tire and rack, wheel well, and rocker panel. I sandblast the frame and paint with rubber paint. I would even suggest that you remove the rocker panel even if you do not drive your car in the winter. You may find some debris, sand and leafs that keep the moisture.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom