Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What a weekend

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
Trailered my '66 up to Traverse City this weekend (where the car was sold new) and hooked up with FOUR of the previous owners! Took it Friday to see owner # 4, he was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Saturday took it to a Corvette show at the Homestead Resort in Glen Arbor, right on the shore of Lake Michigan. There I met owners # 5 & 6. They were quite tickled that I took the car up (on owner #5's invitation). After the show, we took a fun "Corvette Caravan" cruise along the lakeshore into Traverse City, and then three of us went to owner # 2's house. She (her husband is deceased) was all smiles, too, when she saw the car. She took us inside and showed us pictures from when they roadraced and rallied the car from '70 to'73.
The weather was perfect, but there were two "downers". One was, on Saturday night, we took off to drive over to see if the original owner was home, (they ALL live in the T.C. area) and the turn signal lever came off in my hand. End of roadtrip!
The other incident, which I hope to NEVER witness again, was on our way up, a few miles from T.C. We came upon a car fire, and when I had safely pulled off the road with my rig, we got out and peered around the other cars already stopped to get a better view. I gasped and said to my two boys, "that looks just like our car from the back!" Sure enough, when we got a little closer, I could see it was a '64 Coupe, and it was already fully involved. It took about ten minutes for the fire dept. to get there, so needless to say it was a toal loss. Luckily, no one was hurt. A woman was driving it, and I didn't get any details, as there was quite a traffic tie-up. When we finally were able to drive through 30 minutes later, I'll never forget the forlorn look on her face as I drove past with my '66 on the trailer. She looked right at me, pointed at her burnt out '64, and just shook her head. It reminded me all too much of the loss of a CAC members' '69 recently.
Dick

Congrats on your meeting up with the original owners,An being able to share it with your children.

Fire what a terrible way to lose a car,Everybody should have a a good sized fire exstingusher with them,

Great story man and a terrrible event also. I'm going to add another fire extinguisher to my vette. I've got one now but will be adding another just in case. One thought though it's a good idea to continue to up your insurance coverage as you make your vette nicer and nicer. I've been getting on my pop for this very reason, He has a numbers restored vette and doesn't have what I believe to be enough coverage on it. With prices rising like they are he would never be able to replace what he has for his coverage.. Just my .02 Dave..

Great story, MidShark.

With all these fires, I'm thinking of designing a double-fire-extinguisher-holster to wear when I get 67HEAVEN back on the road.

Only "slightly" kidding. :crazy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom