Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What are the Typical Problems?

Redbob

Corvette
'89 dk red coupe
I'm new here, so please bear with me if this question has already been asked a hundred times:
What should I look out for, what are the "typical" problems with a '90 model ZR-1?
There's one for sale near me for a very good price (I think): $20K for 42k miles, "average" overall condition - not a show car.
What are the weaknesses, other than, say, excessive rear tire wear? :)
Anything costly likely to happen around that mileage?
Thanks in advance, and call me if you've got exhaust questions;
- Redbob

Redbob,

Gordy is right. Before you buy a ZR-1, learn as much as you can from www.zr1.net. There is a lot of other good information there in addition to the "Buying a Used ZR-1" section.

The LT-5 is a great motor and very reliable, but it is quite a bit more complicated than a basic small block chevy. The web site will give you more details.

Trevor

Thanks for the tips. I'm not completely ignorant of the ZR-1, and its' LT-5 motor. My first drive of a ZR-1 back in 1990 is what convinced me to abandon Mustangs and buy a Corvette in the first place!
At that time, my company was doing quite a bit of exhaust system work for GM, and we had several ZR-1's to work on. We developed a "dual-mode" muffler, with butterfly valves that opened above 4000 RPM, but the cost was too much for Chevy. We also developed the ZR-1 "export" exhaust system, the design for which GM's exhaust engineer handed over to our competitor (Arvin) so they could produce it! I never trusted Mr. Varga again.
Then we designed the system for the C5, and got the business away from Arvin.
Although I bought an '89, I've always yearned for a ZR-1, and now I've found one that might be right for me.

Redbob, good luck on the ZR-1. Interesting story on the exhaust too. Keep us posted.

Jay

Redbob,

Definitely keep us posted on your ZR-1 search and let us know how it goes.

Hello Rebob, I really can't help you with your question, but your exhaust story once again piqued my interest into exhaust control. I always found this area quite interesting, so if you could, would you post a thread in the Off-road lounge? Thanks. --Bullitt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom