Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What backspacing for my new wheels?

wilfrid

Corvette
1965 silver vert BB
I am planning to get four American Racing wheels, 17x7 probably.
Before ordering I want to make sure they fit.
Has somebody any clue, knowing that I have the stock rear trailing arms, as well as the stock harware in front?
I plan to mount 225/60/17 tyres to replace the 225/70/15 I have today.
american racing wheels may come with a custom backspacing from 3.75 to 4.75.
thank you.

Consider 18x7 wheels with 4.75 backspacing.I have 18x7 with 4.5 backspacing (235-50-18) and they are real close to the inside of the fender. These 18" wheels and tires would be very close to the height of 225 60 17's .In a Goodyear tire you would have a nice agressive ,high performance ,wider tread pattern than the 225-60-17's which only come in an all season tire.

I recently organized chrome 17 x 7 TT II with 4 inch B/S running 225/55/17. Haven't got them on yet but based upon a ton of feedback they will absolutely fit on a stock setup. :D

I recently organized chrome 17 x 7 TT II with 4 inch B/S running 225/55/17. Haven't got them on yet but based upon a ton of feedback they will absolutely fit on a stock setup. :D
My 235-50-18 tires on a 7" rim is only .125 " wider at the bulge than a 225-55-17. With 4.5" backspace I still had to file the inside of the finder lip so that they would fit. Unless you jack the car up like a tractor,THEY ABSOLUTELY WON'T FIT with 4 " backspacing.

When should you get them?

I am planning to get four American Racing wheels, 17x7 probably.
Before ordering I want to make sure they fit.
Has somebody any clue, knowing that I have the stock rear trailing arms, as well as the stock harware in front?
I plan to mount 225/60/17 tyres to replace the 225/70/15 I have today.
american racing wheels may come with a custom backspacing from 3.75 to 4.75.
thank you.

attachment.php

This picture is a few weeks old. I've since lowered the rear end to get the stance correct. The wheels are 17x8 with 4.5" back space. I'm running 255/50/17s in order to keep the ride height of the 255/60/15s. The backspace works well for the IRS.

attachment.php

This picture is a few weeks old. I've since lowered the rear end to get the stance correct. The wheels are 17x8 with 4.5" back space. I'm running 255/50/17s in order to keep the ride height of the 255/60/15s. The backspace works well for the IRS.
A c-3 is totally different than a c-2 (63-67) corvette.these wheels and tires will not fit under the fenders of a c-2.

A c-3 is totally different than a c-2 (63-67) corvette.these wheels and tires will not fit under the fenders of a c-2.

Thanks turbocat! Have you fitted a mid-year with custom wheels? What size did you go with?

I may be mistaken, but I thought the C2s have a lot of shared parts with the C3 in terms of suspension and chassis. Granted, the bodies are different, and not all suspension components may be a complete 1 for 1, but there are more shared parts than people realize. For example, the trailing arms can be swapped between 65-82 Vettes, along with calipers, studs, monosprings, control arms, struts, bushings, shocks, studs, etc.

But to answer the bigger question- yes, you can fit the wheels I'm using. The bolt pattern is correct, the backspace is correct. You may need to run 245/45/17 (for the 8" wide rim) tires and/or possibly use a 7" wide as opposed to my 8" rim.

Thanks turbocat! Have you fitted a mid-year with custom wheels? What size did you go with?

I may be mistaken, but I thought the C2s have a lot of shared parts with the C3 in terms of suspension and chassis. Granted, the bodies are different, and not all suspension components may be a complete 1 for 1, but there are more shared parts than people realize. For example, the trailing arms can be swapped between 65-82 Vettes, along with calipers, studs, monosprings, control arms, struts, bushings, shocks, studs, etc.

But to answer the bigger question- yes, you can fit the wheels I'm using. The bolt pattern is correct, the backspace is correct. You may need to run 245/45/17 (for the 8" wide rim) tires and/or possibly use a 7" wide as opposed to my 8" rim.
Please read post 2,5, and 8. This is the c-2 section,so the advise is for c-2's not c-3's.

When should you get them?

I have the same setup as Pauqualli on my 63 and they fit fine, close, but fine. I found a limited selection of tires in the 18" range so I opted for a 17". If you want pictures, PM me your email and I'll send you a few.

Sal

63's have drum brakes so the wheels sit .6 inches more to the inside of the body on a c-2. 65 to 67 c-2's have disk brakes ,so the wheels are closer to the fender lip than 63 to 64's. That's why custom tires and wheels that fit on a 63-64 won't fit a 65-67.

63's have drum brakes so the wheels sit .6 inches more to the inside of the body on a c-2. 65 to 67 c-2's have disk brakes ,so the wheels are closer to the fender lip than 63 to 64's. That's why custom tires and wheels that fit on a 63-64 won't fit a 65-67.

Sorry, but I neglected to mention that my 63 has 65 trailing arms on it. 7" rims with 4" backspacing with 225x 55 tires.

black moon

Sorry, but I neglected to mention that my 63 has 65 trailing arms on it. 7" rims with 4" backspacing with 225x 55 tires.

it seems we have the same configuration then.
do you beleive 225/60/17 tyres could fit, they are 0.4 inches higher than yours and Michelin has a good tyre in this dimension. I am confident it would fit the rear, but the front fender is so close...

it seems we have the same configuration then.
do you beleive 225/60/17 tyres could fit, they are 0.4 inches higher than yours and Michelin has a good tyre in this dimension. I am confident it would fit the rear, but the front fender is so close...

The front is close. I had to file the front lower corners. It would rub during a hard turn driving up into a drive. I removed 1/4" of the corner and problem fixed. I'll send photos.
Sal

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom