Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What brand tools do you hack with?

Schrade

Corvette
'90 LT 5
Ever heard of Great Neck? I hadn't either, but I gave them a try.

Is Snap-On the best? Can they flex like this cheapie?

Attachments

• HPIM2509.jpg
    HPIM2509.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 156
Snap-On is "generally" considered to be one of the best, if not the best. They offer a professional tool that comes at a professional price. If you are using the tools to make a living you may be able to justify snap-on or one of the other premium brands. for the hobbyist or casual user, craftsman will do just as good and help keep your wallet a bit heavier. i use a mix-match lot of tools, including husky, craftsman and a very few snap-on pieces. don't forget to get some really low buck pieces that you can modify for disposable custom tool that you are bound to need. you know the ones, cut off or bent wrenches, bent screwdrivers, sockets welded to other tools for that perfect reach, etc, etc...

Ever heard of Great Neck? I hadn't either, but I gave them a try.

Is Snap-On the best? Can the flex like this cheapie?

I have a wide variety of brands. I started out as a 15 year old with an S-K socket set and then expanded on them, 5 sets now 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2. I have some craftsman screwdrivers and wrenches, but recently I've bought wrenches from Harbor freight. They are surprisingly of decent quality, guaranteed for life and cheap. I several sets of Gearwrenches as well. I bought H-F 1/2" Metric socket set. The ratchets are not as close, maybe a 9* swing, compared to my S-K at 5*, but I can use my better ratchets with those sockets.

My most recent purchase was a Harbor Freight 3/4" socket set. I was 6 hours away from home (at my daughters house) and she needed a new front wheel bearing on her Olds Alero. I always have some tools with me, but I don't own a socket large enough to take the axle nut off. When I picked up the parts I priced a 1/2" drive socket to do the job, they wanted $30....for one socket. I stopped by H-F on the way back and they had a complete 3/4" drive socket set, with breaker bar, ratchet and sockets from 25-50mm for $49...it was a 'no-brainer' in my book.

Will it last like a Snap-on, Mac or Matco? I don't know, but for my limited use, it will serve me well. I agree that if you are using them for your livelyhood, buy the best, but for me I can't justify them.

I have heard of Great Neck tools....I actually have some Great Neck woodworking tools, they are of decent quality and the price is in line with H-F stuff. The thing about the "cheap" tools, is if I have to 'alter' one, I don't feel too bad.

Because of convience of purchase I have a broad mix .Craftsmen about 40% ,Napa 20% the rest are a real mix .

I did check this AM and the bulk of my tools we're made in the USA ,that might be becuase I've had a lot of them for awhile .The newer even Craftsmen ---"made in China" .I'll check closer before I buy next time.:mad

In my shop I have a mix...

--Some Craftsman, most of that is old stuff I owned when I worked in the service trade.
--Some Mac Tools I bought towards the end of my service career and once I started as a technical writer.
--Some Grear Wrench...stuff I got a couple years ago and are really great tools.
--Currently, I buy Matco tools.
--In my "back-up" and "loaner" tool crate, I have some Craftsman and some cheap imported junk.

I use Snap-On hand tools as they are the strongest and most user friendly (ergonomics) for tight areas in my opinion.

Ingersall Rand has been my choice for air tools lately. Most of the major tool company's (Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc) sell a version of Ingersoll Rand under their own names.

I use Snap-On hand tools as they are the strongest and most user friendly (ergonomics) for tight areas in my opinion.

Ingersall Rand has been my choice for air tools lately. Most of the major tool company's (Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc) sell a version of Ingersoll Rand under their own names.

iagree.gif iagree.gif

95+% Snap-On hand tools here!!:thumb
Round a bolt off with your craftsman,then I'll remove it with my Snap-On 99% of the time!!:D

Well ya left a wang-yang wrench under the hood of my car .:DGot a hunk a velcro stuck to it .

Well what you expect for $39.95 ??:boogie:boogie:boogie

:D

View attachment 1894 View attachment 1894

95+% Snap-On hand tools here!!:thumb
Round a bolt off with your craftsman,then I'll remove it with my Snap-On 99% of the time!!:D

The one thing that I do NOT like about Snap On is the finish...they can become very slippery when you get them or your hand wet with oil and they become hard to grip or hold on to. As far as being strong, light, and easy to wipe down, they're the best. I am more likely to buy craftsman or Great Neck (O'Riellys) mostly because they are more accessable and the return/warranty policy is idiot proof. When I was in a shop the biggest problem was breaking a Snap On then having to wait a week for the truck to come by again, then you often waited for the replacement to be ordered or repaired. It was common to do without for 2 or more weeks. Unless of course you stopped on the way home at Sears...

The "not as nice" Snap On brand is BluePoint. More affordable and along the same quality as Craftsman.

A mix here SK, Craftsman, Snap-on, Cornwell, Harbor Freight, KD, VIM,etc...basically if I use it everyday higher quality, if not all the time, Craftsman, rarely use harbor freight or generic stuff, a rubber hammer is a rubber hammer for example.

Snap-on air tools are junk, IR is the only way to roll.

The bulk of my tools are a mix of Craftsman and Snap On. Almost all of them are between 30 and 40 years old.

My biggest problems with both brands has been keeping them in my tool box. Periodically I have to do a sweep of the entire house to find the stuff that "walked" out of the garage.

Harbor Freight is good for the one-time or real occasional use specialty tool. They aren't made to last, but seem to work well when I needed them.

Best tool I ever bought; a Dremel tool and a diamond engraver bit. It really helped those tools that strayed past the property line to return home.

Dave

I also have a wide variety of tool brands.
My favorite wrenches are the Matco ratcheting box wrenches.
Most brands that offer a ratcheting wrench have an open end on the opposite side. These have a box end. You can break the bolt loose and then swap the wrench around and ratchet it off.
I could only find their zero degree offset wrenches on their crappy site when I just looked.
Here is an ebay link to one like mine Ebay link

I have Craftsman Pro combo wrenches I use occasionally that I think work pretty good. I bought these after my garage was robbed at our last house. I couldn't afford to replace all the Snap-On I had, so I was selective.

You can find used high end tools for good prices all the time.
Ebay is good, but I found most of my used stuff at flea markets.
Most of the flea market stuff is hot.
I actually bought some of my stolen stuff back from the local flea market. The initials were acid'd off, but they missed some portions so I knew they were mine.

Cheap tools are ok if you will hardly ever use them.
Try to get high end tools for the most commonly used ones.
It makes the job much more enjoyable.

I was a jogger for about 30 years and picked up enough tools at intersections to fill a tool box. Guys who work on their cars sometimes leave tools under the hood or on a support. When they make a turn at an intersection, they will fall off. I pick 'em up. They range in quality from junk to Snap-On. But for me, the price was right. :thumb

Mostly Craftsman and Huskey (Home Depot).

A few good sources for older tools (usually made in USA), yard sales or flea markets. Also, (this may sound ghoulish), but if a local mechanic dies you might want to check with his widow to find out if she want to sell his tools.

I was a jogger for about 30 years and picked up enough tools at intersections to fill a tool box. Guys who work on their cars sometimes leave tools under the hood or on a support. When they make a turn at an intersection, they will fall off. I pick 'em up. They range in quality from junk to Snap-On. But for me, the price was right. :thumb

Yup...

I rode my bike to classes in college, and went through the rental property neighborhoods, where maintenance guys were always doing maintenance work. 1/4 of all the pieces in my box are from the curb.

Although they were never kind enough to leave entire sets, I DO have 2 matching pieces - KMC open end 12+13 mm, and 10+11 mm.

And 1 trophy - which I SAW fall off the truck in Wilson NC - a Craftsman cordless 19.2 V reciprocating saw. Everybody saw it, red lights all the way around the 4-lane divided highway, except for one left turn (his, no one behind him), and yours truly was first on the next green light.

The guy behind me honked when I stopped in the middle of the intersection. I think he wanted me to leave it for him. I thought about it for about 0 seconds... :L

Mostly Craftsman here. I have some of the top names buy usually those were handed down to me. I take the off brand crap anytime it's offered they make good tools for modifactions if you need to reach somewhere funky. I have a 9/16-1/2 combo wrench I cut in half and welded back together at a 90* angle for getting to my oil pressure sending unit.

Craftsman since I can't use the Snap-On, Matco, etc, etc warranty easily. Sure, they come to your shop but I doubt they will come to my house when I want them to. Craftsman are ok because they don't care why that ratchet failed and don't ask what I was doing with it. ;LOL

Mostly the infamous FIRE WRENCH ! :mad

SK, Sears, Snap On, Mac, Matco, Corwall, Husky, Napa, Sioux, Taylor, Ingersoll Rand, Campbell Hausfeld, Dotco, Binks, Fluke.

Harbor freight, Or Nothren Tools for One time use tools like 3 inch socket.

And bunch other brand tools.

I been buying tools for 35+ years I am a tool whore and proud of it.

Having alot of tool dont make you a good or a great mechanic but makes the job much easyer to get done.

Oh ya Air tools are a must it not cheating.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom