Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what cam do I have??

dennisb61

Corvette
1961 2x4 Jewel Blue & white
I rebuilt a 245 HP 61 283 and when it came time to put the cam in I thought it would be nice to put something in with a nice mellow lope an low idle. I like solids so this is what I got. not sure if it is 30-30 or a 097 or neither. seems to load up a little when warmed up. It has the flat top pistons. It got real hot weather wise and while driving the car was about 200F and it really started running like crap. I set the lifters at .008 and .011. Here is the specs on the cam:

.050 Duration Intake Ex
Sae Dur 228 230
Cam Lift .263 .267
Valve Lift .395 .401
Lobe Center 108 112
lash .017 .018
Should put the stock cam in or have I got other problems

Dennis

First you need to reset the valve lash to the mfg. specs rather than what you're using. When you close up the valve lash as much as you have done, you risk damaging the valve train.

Re lash the valves then road test.

Also, on your cam specs you only list SAE duration which is usually .006 lift. What are the lift figures at .050-lift.

First you need to reset the valve lash to the mfg. specs rather than what you're using. When you close up the valve lash as much as you have done, you risk damaging the valve train.

Re lash the valves then road test.

Also, on your cam specs you only list SAE duration which is usually .006 lift. What are the lift figures at .050-lift.
Here is some more information on the cam
BTC ABC BBC ATC
6 42 48 2
27 63 68 22

Dennis, Did you get your problem solved? If not, try setting valves at 17 and 18. If i'm not mistaken i set old corvette cam 16 and 18,but that has many moons ago. I hope this helps. Ace

Dennis, If you have o97 cam 16 and 18, but 30 30 is set 30 across or as your article stays. The cam manufacturer should be able to tell you proper setting for your cam. Ace

I have not tried to adjust the valves yet, will do this weekend. Here is a link to an article I used to set the lash, sounded like they knew what they were doing
http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructions/30_30_VALVE_ADJUSTMENT.pdf
thanks for the advice
Dennis

Those instructions (I wrote them) are for COLD setting of known FACTORY cams only, with stock stamped rockers.

Your cam card specs say to lash the intakes at .017" and the exhausts at .018", and it should also say whether that's hot or cold (most likely hot). If you have them at .008" and .011", that's why it runs poorly.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom