Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What carburetor do i need?

O

OBL1V1ON

Ok guys its been a while since ive been here but i have a question for you experts. i have a 79 with a little work done to the motor (350 w/heads 202/160, cam 454 lift, performer rpm intake, etc..) ive been using a holly 650 dp on this car for a while now and im getting tired of the constant tuning and having to let the car warm up before it runs smoothly, despite having an electric choke on the carb. After the engine warms up the car runs fine.

Basically, i want to be able to turn my car on and drive it without it dying everytime i take my foot off the gas for the first 15 minutes. Ive heard that edelbrock makes carbs that are less maintenance and run smoother. First, what brand/kind of carburetor would you guys suggest? Secondly, what size?

Thnx for the help

The Edelbrock will give you the same headaches (if you don't believe me, I have one in a box I'd be willing to sell you). Nothing can beat a well set up Quadrajet. God bless, Sensei

... i want to be able to turn my car on and drive it without it dying every time i take my foot off the gas for the first 15 minutes. ...

Oblivion,

Silly question here, but perhaps your fast idle is not set correctly or something. If it was a manual choke before, but you converted it to electrical choke, then it could be that you have the wrong fast idle pick-up lever installed (I know, for it happened to me). ;shrug

When I had my 650/700/750 installed, the electrical choke always worked as advertised.

"... Ive heard that edelbrock makes carbs that are less maintenance and run smoother..."

Yeah, I heard the same thing. I tried the 600 cfm and 650 cfm. Never really liked the performance... too rich despite tuning, and because of the huge primaries, it used waaay too much gas.

Switch to a Q-Jet. It has small primaries for regular driving, and large secondaries for those times you need to move!

Oblivion,

Silly question here, but perhaps your fast idle is not set correctly or something. If it was a manual choke before, but you converted it to electrical choke, then it could be that you have the wrong fast idle pick-up lever installed (I know, for it happened to me). ;shrug

When I had my 650/700/750 installed, the electrical choke always worked as advertised.

Hey Gerry,

I checked out your home page - very cool. I particularly liked the way you ran the spark plug wires. Is that the "correct" method? I like it.

Ralph
:hijack

Hey Gerry,

... I particularly liked the way you ran the spark plug wires. Is that the "correct" method? I like it.

Ralph
:hijack

Thanks, fine.

It is the correct arrangement; however, not entirely correct near the spark plugs, (and back then I didn't have the correct heat shields with me), so that's how you don't see any shields on. Once I received the heat shields, I was able to cut to length the #5, #7, #6, and #8 cylinder ignition wires.

Also, since it is a real pain to swap the wires, I used stock-colored Accel 8mm wires for reliability, and perhaps when they go bad, it will be around 40,000 miles later (not sooner).

On this image, I traced with the digital spray the path that the wire follows behind the shield.

View attachment 13074

Basically, i want to be able to turn my car on and drive it without it dying everytime i take my foot off the gas for the first 15 minutes.

Assuming you have 12 volts to the choke and the other terminal is properly grounded, have you tried adjusting it? You loosen the three screws attaching the black plastic cover and turn it, noting the position of the index marks at the top. If you turn it toward "rich", the choke (and fast idle) will stay on longer before it drops out.

:beer

thnx for the help guys. im gonna see if i can adjust the choke and look at the fist idle screw. if that doesnt work ill probably look into a q-jet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom