Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What coolant?

R

rickrendo

I know this has been thrashed around many times,but what type of coolant should be used in a ZR-1? Is Dex-Cool an alternative? Thanks.

Welcome…Just my opinion. I use the green stuff. Its worked great for me for years why change.

Steve, Thanks for the input. By green stuff are you refering to Prestone and the like? I have one other question. If a head gasket was leaking wouldn't you find coolant in the oil? Thanks.

Steve, Thanks for the input. By green stuff are you refering to Prestone and the like? I have one other question. If a head gasket was leaking wouldn't you find coolant in the oil? Thanks.

Yes to both... if its a small head gasket leak you may only see a white vaper from the tail pipe, also you can check the plugs look for a very clean one... best way to check is to run a compression check.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks again for info. I'll do a compression test this coming weekend and see what's what.

Yes to both... if its a small head gasket leak you may only see a white vaper from the tail pipe, also you can check the plugs look for a very clean one... best way to check is to run a compression check.

Steve

Steve -- In your avatar, is that a Quarter balanced on the plenum of your LT5...while it's running?

Steve -- In your avatar, is that a Quarter balanced on the plenum of your LT5...while it's running?

The old nickel trick...I have a movie of it from idle to around 3000RPMs...If the nickel falls you need a tune-up :D

The old nickel trick...I have a movie of it from idle to around 3000RPMs...If the nickel falls you need a tune-up :D

Hey ...I was pretty close, huh? Assuming your LT5 doesn't need a tune...!!

I know this has been thrashed around many times,but what type of coolant should be used in a ZR-1? Is Dex-Cool an alternative? Thanks.
I would NOT use Dex-Cool. That stuff is for cars designed for it. Your car is designed for regular silicated coolant. There have been a few people that experienced headgasket problems after running Dex-Cool. I dunno if it's absolutely the cause, but even GM doesn't suggest it as a retrofit coolant.

The Prestone "All Makes" green stuff is not silicated, it's like Dex-Cool. I personally just buy the silicated GM stuff as nowhere else seems to carry any anymore. It's kind of a rip at $18 a gallon, but better to have the right stuff in there.

Just as a note. If you ARE forced to change, the big thing is to keep a very close eye on the coolent level. The DexCool just seems to "go" somewhere, e.g. the level will just be low one day. If you make certain that the coolent is always filled, you'll limit the problems with the sludge.

You can also use the napa store brand it is spec1825 and if you ck the label its silicated . Having lost one head gasket to the orange goo in my red car I used an old alcahol drag trick on my black car . I clean the system really well. then put nin a bottle of Moroso ceramic engine seal. drove the car for one day drained it like the instructions said . I know have a protective coating . I did this last oct and using one of randy woods 170 thermastats the car runs 180 181.4 all day long . . . just thought to share what worked fpor me and gives me that little extra bit of safety.:D

IF YOU USE DEXCOOL YOU WILL BLOW A HEAD GASKET. if ya doubt this call Mark haibeck or Corey henderson at henderson performance tech. they will tell ya how muchit costs to replace the head gaskets .

Dex-Cool is the one thing I'de stay away from. Thanks for the post and could you tell me where you bought the Moros?

i bought it @ r and e racing in palmdale / lancaster ca. i believe they have adds in most of the (ford pubs) sorry for swearing:D

You can also use the napa store brand it is spec1825 and if you ck the label its silicated . Having lost one head gasket to the orange goo in my red car I used an old alcahol drag trick on my black car . I clean the system really well. then put nin a bottle of Moroso ceramic engine seal. drove the car for one day drained it like the instructions said . I know have a protective coating . I did this last oct and using one of randy woods 170 thermastats the car runs 180 181.4 all day long . . . just thought to share what worked fpor me and gives me that little extra bit of safety.:D

I just used the NAPA brand as Jon did. It says silicates on the bottle and as he mentioned it meets the GM 1825M spec. I also used their t-stat #124. Make sure you flush with distilled water. I also added a bottle of Water Wetter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom