Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do you do to your Corvette for Winter Hibernation

Mike Terry

Corvette
63 SWC and 67 Coupe F/S 54 Corvette NFS
For those of you that live in areas where you do not or can not get your Corvette out and drive it in the WINTER, what do you do to it to get it ready for Hibernation?​

For those of you that live in areas where you do not or can not get your Corvette out and drive it in the WINTER, what do you do to it to get it ready for Hibernation?​

I live downstate NY and garage it after they salt the roads.
Used to change the oil but now I wait until spring.
Check all the fluid levels
Wash & wax
Fill gas tank and add a can of Stabil
Put 40-45lbs of air in the tires and park it on 2"X12" planks
A battery tender is a must if the garage is not attached or heated

That's about it

I do an oil change in the late Fall. If the roads have salt on them and I don't want to drive there, once a week:

I put a charger on it for a while, then start and let idle up to 190' coolant temp. While waiting, I exercise everything in the car- windows, radio, CD, seats, etc. EVERYTHING I can operate.
Then, drive it up and down my driveway (30 yds) a few times to move everything around. Park in garage and shut down, repeat next week if unable to drive on roads.

Oil change in Spring.

Works for me, total dead storage seems to work for others.

I live downstate NY and garage it after they salt the roads.
Used to change the oil but now I wait until spring.
Check all the fluid levels
Wash & wax
Fill gas tank and add a can of Stabil
Put 40-45lbs of air in the tires and park it on 2"X12" planks
A battery tender is a must if the garage is not attached or heated

That's about it

:thumb Exactly what I do here in NW Indiana, except the planks. In a heated garage. Almost forgot the car cover...

just curious. why - Put 40-45lbs of air in the tires and park it on 2"X12" planks???

just curious. why - Put 40-45lbs of air in the tires and park it on 2"X12" planks???
To prevent the tires from flat spotting.

I have already put the corvettes into storage; snowing today and we had 30 inches of snow since yesterday. For storage, I first touch up all of the paint chips, then wash and wax the corvettes, remove the wheels and clean the inside rims plus the wheel wells, clean the engine compartment, vacuum the carpets, clean and add conditioner to the leather, clean the dash and other vinyl areas, apply a glycerin based cleaner to all of the weatherstripping, clean and reoil the vararam air cleaner (02)(08 gets new air filter) change the oil and filter, reset the DIC for oil change, add stabil and techron 20+ to the gasoline, lubricate all the hinges and latches, add air to tires to 30 psi, put the corvettes in the heated garage, attach a battery tender to each, loosen the latch on the convertible top (08), cover each with a car cover, and begin weeping that lasts for 6 months.
Barrett

I have already put the corvettes into storage; snowing today and we had 30 inches of snow since yesterday. For storage, I first touch up all of the paint chips, then wash and wax the corvettes, remove the wheels and clean the inside rims plus the wheel wells, clean the engine compartment, vacuum the carpets, clean and add conditioner to the leather, clean the dash and other vinyl areas, apply a glycerin based cleaner to all of the weatherstripping, clean and reoil the vararam air cleaner (02)(08 gets new air filter) change the oil and filter, reset the DIC for oil change, add stabil and techron 20+ to the gasoline, lubricate all the hinges and latches, add air to tires to 30 psi, put the corvettes in the heated garage, attach a battery tender to each, loosen the latch on the convertible top (08), cover each with a car cover, and begin weeping that lasts for 6 months.
Barrett

I'm with you on the weeping, I've found that massive quantities of Maker's Mark or Chevis makes it better...:drink

Winter?

I don't do anything; I drive it when the snow has been plowed and between massive salting's of the streets. I have heated seats and the tires aren't too bad in below zero weather; besides the rooters don't warp if you use your car a few times a month.:cool

I fill up the gas tank and add Sta-Bil, air up the tires to specs, wash it and wax if it's time, and attach the battery tender. Mine's is in the heated shop but that doesn't keep the radio and computer memory from draining the batter over the winter. I will change the oil too if it has any amount of miles on it otherwise I just put on the cover and that's it.

Modern radial tires don't flat spot like old bias plys did. I have never had any thumping or tire shake from the tires first time out in the spring.

Tom

One thing that most people over look which is very important if you store your car .Always back it in ,that way your headed in the right direction in the spring.:D

I fill the gas tank and park it for 5-6 months, and put a Battery Tender on it once a month for about 24 hours. Come spring, I drive it. I've been doing that for my garage-stored classics through 40 Michigan winters, never a problem.

:beer

I turn up the heat in the garage to 65 and wait for a nice day to stretch her legs. Shemp :beer

Winterizing Corvette

Has anyone tried one of those storage bubbles that are advertised on WCC website? This is my first winterization and I am considering the bubble in lieu of the car cover. Seems like a cool concept, just not sure if this is the way to go.

Has anyone tried one of those storage bubbles that are advertised on WCC website? This is my first winterization and I am considering the bubble in lieu of the car cover. Seems like a cool concept, just not sure if this is the way to go.
May I recommend where you have a C6 and in PA ,try Conway self storage near Orlando airport .:DCheap tickets and a few long weekends can greatly decrease the winter blues for both you and your car.

Wow, that would be tuff for me. I am actually flying to Orlando in a couple weeks for a 9 day get away to Disney World. Will be there for Thanksgiving.
thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, that would be tuff for me. I am actually flying to Orlando in a couple weeks for a 9 day get away to Disney World. Will be there for Thanksgiving.
thanks for the suggestion.
If your ever serious I have it right down to a science let me know .I also have a decent hotel on International drive that allows me to wash the car and my own parking spot.:DAnd of course if the weathers bad in Orlando I know of a great place in Key West :thumb

Any way have fun at Disney :beer

thanks again, looking forward to Happy Town USA. Think the car is going away very soon not so much the weather as it is all the road construction.
take care......

I park mine tail light to tail light. The 02 goes is fronted in and the 08 is backed in. That way at least one is ready to go when I start up; unfortunately spring does not arrive until May.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom