Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do you put over the fenders when working?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
The frame and body will be coming back from the body shop soon and I need to sort out what I will put over the fenders to protect them while working inside the motor compartment and other areas.

One of the guys at the shop said don't put a blanket over the fender, you will end up with micro scratches on the fender you wont like. So what does everyone do to protect while working?

thanks, Herb

Herb,

Over the years I have purchased and used every fender cover, protector, etc. that has ever been offered for sale. I have not as yet found ANY that offer the protection we need with a fresh paint job on our Corvettes

Today, the only thing I will now use on any of my cars are " flannel blankets " that my X-WIFE use to use on our bed. These are the softest, less abrasive, fender protectors that I have found. I use a few small pieces of masking tape to keep them firmly in place, and whenever they get soiled, just drop'em in the washer for a better then new protection once again.

Once washed the best way to dry them is in a clothes dryer ( no clotheslines ) with a piece of anti-static cloth. They come out sooo soft, you could now use them as diapers. In the past I have even cut one up to use them as polishing rags when waxing the car.

Good luck with your new paint.

Stepinwolf

P.S. The same attention you give to the paint, should also be given to freshly chromed bumpers, otherwise they too will easlly scratch.

Herb

I normally use nothing as I dont want a falsw cence of security .I keep my shirt out of my pants (so I dont let my jeans rub on the fenders

I do own

Moving blankets, and these felt like fender covers,but I have more fear of something being in the covering and me grinding it into the paint

Herb

I normally use nothing as I don't want a false sense of security .I keep my shirt out of my pants (so I don't let my jeans rub on the fenders

I do own

Moving blankets, and these felt like fender covers,but I have more fear of something being in the covering and me grinding it into the paint

Larry,

I NEVER work over the fenders, or anywhere around the car with " jeans ", because sooner or later the shÎt is goint to hit the proverbial fan, and those bright metal buttons are sure to come in contact with your beautiful paint.

My favorite attire for working over the fenders, or anywhere around the Vettes, is soft sweat pants, with no eyelets, tie-strings or anything else hanging on to them. After numerous washings, they are now softer then my polishing rags.

As for your jeans Larry, I'm sad to say that it's only a question of time ;shrug

Stepinwolf

The problem with new paint is that it is soft for a longer time than you would think. It will be easy to scratch. Flannel is good and also cottom bath towels. I have several of them I use for drying the cars. First you need to be sure that there is no dirt on the car before laying anything on it. Even if you dusted it off the night before things that scratch have setteled on it since.

I lay down the clean towels and then lay a conventional fender cover over them. The towels cushion the paint and the heavy vinyl fender cover will protect against anything you may fumble and drop on the fender.

If I'm just checking the oil or taking a quick picture ect. I have a couple of those cotton fender covers that come from the uniform rental places that car dealers use. I got them new so I know they don't have steel shavings or anything in them. I lay it over the fender vertically so that it covers the side of the car I'll be leaning against. Then I don't have to worry about rubbing my jeans on the side of the car or the fender top for the minute or so I'll be there.

Tom

I use the soft "grippy" fender covers from Snake-Oyl; they won't scratch 'cuz they don't move, and they don't slide off and fall on the floor. :)

FenderCover.JPG

:beer

I have found the best and softest protector is my good old Turkish Bath Towels . These have been washed with a small amount of "Tide" Detergent and hot water and dryed in an electric dryer. These are only used for the Corvette and not my funky body.

They have been washed over and over to the point where they have shead there course fibers and leaving only the small soft ones. They are now baby backside soft.

Pictured below shows the towels spread out and taped to the fendors so they won't slip off. They offered impact protection as welll as general scratch protection. You can see the mess I made during wiring up the motor during the 502 conversion.

I would suggest covering your vette with Good old soft Turkish towels..
mess8.jpg

I also have one like John's but I haven't used it yet. I'm saving it for when there is paint on my '59. :L

Years ago my wife gave me a set of fender aprons for a mid-year which I really like. It has four sections to cover the cowl, nose and both fenders. The underside is a soft material which has never scratched and the vinyl on top is thick enough to provide good padding. It's designed to fit snug and won't slip. Unfortuately, when I searched to see if I could find one for a C1, it appears that the company is no longer in business. I did find a similar one though called Fender Glove from Covercraft but I don't know if they still make them.

I searched the various Vette vendors and didn't find similar covers. I did run across two other sources I hadn't seen before: http://members.aol.com/Fendercovers/VettesPh.html & http://www.fergusondesigns.com/fender_apron.htm

Here's a picture of what the mid-year cover looks like.

67_vette_with_fender_apron.jpg

Rich Lagasse

Heh Rich,
I went to the Ferguson site you linked.... It's kind of funny ...the guy shows his product but there is no contact info for sales. In fact...there's no link to anything...;LOL

Did I smoke to much crack or does he need a lesson in sales...:D

Correction....I backed some of the address and just left dot com...it took me to his home page.

..Ok nav-ed around his site and could not find a price on his products or contact info...wierd.

Heh Rich,
I went to the Ferguson site you linked.... It's kind of funny ...the guy shows his product but there is no contact info for sales. In fact...there's no link to anything...;LOL

Did I smoke to much crack or does he need a lesson in sales...:D

Correction....I backed some of the address and just left dot com...it took me to his home page.

..Ok nav-ed around his site and could not find a price on his products or contact info...wierd.

Mark,

I didn't look too far into either of those web sites and have never seen their covers in person. You're right though that it would seem they would make things easier to use. I wonder if they only sell through retailers and not direct?

Rich

Mark,

I didn't look too far into either of those web sites and have never seen their covers in person. You're right though that it would seem they would make things easier to use. I wonder if they only sell through retailers and not direct?

Rich

No Biggie.... But I do like that cover shown in your pic on the 67. I'd love to find one like that .. Too Bad They went out of business ....Very nice.

I first make sure the car surface is clean, and then I put down my fender covers from Summit. *Link*
I brought up a new pair and gave them to Rob as door prizes at last year's CruiseFest. The top is vinyl so no fluids seep through, and the bottom is a soft but kind of sticky rubbery foam to keep it place.

I don't like towels because they slip around and if you spill anything on them, while they absorb, there is still some fluid contact with the painted surface, nor will they really protect the car if you drop a wrench or something on them.

If you are going to use towels on your car, terrycloth is good. But regardless of what fabric you use, after washing them, do not use fabric softener sheets in the dryer. This leaves a residue on your towels that can transfer to the painted surface.

Years ago my wife gave me a set of fender aprons for a mid-year which I really like. It has four sections to cover the cowl, nose and both fenders. The underside is a soft material which has never scratched and the vinyl on top is thick enough to provide good padding. It's designed to fit snug and won't slip. Unfortuately, when I searched to see if I could find one for a C1, it appears that the company is no longer in business. I did find a similar one though called Fender Glove from Covercraft but I don't know if they still make them.

I searched the various Vette vendors and didn't find similar covers. I did run across two other sources I hadn't seen before: http://members.aol.com/Fendercovers/VettesPh.html & http://www.fergusondesigns.com/fender_apron.htm

Here's a picture of what the mid-year cover looks like.

67_vette_with_fender_apron.jpg

Rich Lagasse
looks like a surgical area with an opening for work....very nice!!! very very nice!!!

I have a old pair from Summit, but I bought one of those soft clingy magnetic ones like JohnZ shows last year and have been using it , now I need to buy a second one; They work great.

I have a old pair from Summit, but I bought one of those soft clingy magnetic ones like JohnZ shows last year and have been using it , now I need to buy a second one; They work great.

Got a link to Snake oyl..??;help

Magnetic??? :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom