Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What engine do I have in this thing?

Yeah, I am not going to sweat it, I have already agreed with the seller on a "rebate". I love driving the car, the engine in it seems real strong. Don't you agree though that it would be slightly more collectable if it had a correct '70 350 in it? I have seen many cars advertized as #'s matching, yet NOM. I know that is kind of a debatable subject, but I would rather have a correct NOM car than something with a crate engine....no?

I don't think it's more collectable, but that's just me. Only you can decide if throwing more money at it will make you happier.

To me NOM=NOM. A car only has one original engine.

My car is NOM by the way............

Having just recently participated in the NCRS Indiana Regional I feel safe in saying that it is almost impossible to creat a stamp pad that will fly these days. The big issue is duplicating the factory maching marks called broach marks. The factory machining tools cut the head surface of the block in a lengthwise pattern. Aftermarket machine shops are limited to machines that leave a slightly circular pattern that even a novice judge can see. Most attempts at achieving straight broach marks in the field result in a pattern that is too coarse, too deep, too pronounced, not pronounced enough....you get the idea. With litterly hundreds of provable original pads documented to compare with a fake stands out like a sore thumb. And we won't even get into all of the features of the stamped characters that will tell on you.

If you are really serious about NCRS judging it's almost easier these days to trade for a documanted and provable original car than it is to try to creat a car that will fool the judges. If you don't give a hoot about judging then enjoy the car and don't worry about it.

If it was my car I'd carry the date of the block I needed in my wallet and keep an eye out when I'm at swap meets or in junk yards. If I found a correct dated block I'd buy it and put it away for the future. If you decide to sell the car someday sell the matching date block with the car and let the buyer try to make a correct block if that is what he wants. Of course there is always the possibilty that one of these days someone will come up with a meathod that will be so close that it will pass a close inspection. For now though, don't believe anyone that claims to be able to creat a pad that will pass a close inspection.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom