Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What exactly would a new, high performance clutch do?

J

Jedi86

I got this crazy notion that a new high performance clutch will give my car a little more oomph. Maybe one of those Centerforce cluthes? Will it give me some gain or would I be wasting my money?

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center Jedi86!

Jeff, the only thing a performance clutch is going to do is give you more transfer of the power being delivered by the engine, through to the transmission. The Centerforce units use centrifugal force to increase the pressure on the disc assembly as the revolutions of the engine increase. If no other modifications have been done to the engine to increase its power output, a clutch other than what was recommended by the manufacturer is overkill.

However, if you do increase the output of the engine, the clutch must be one of the first things addressed in order to get that new-found power to the wheels. Then traction becomes an issue, but that's food for another thread. ;)

Hey thanks Ken! Your really cool! Yeah, my friend claimed that his brother ran his GSR into the 13's with a racing clutch. I never really believed him in the first place. Thanks again!

That's what we're here for! :D

Good luck with your car. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Jeff,

I have bought a new centerforce cluch and it will be installed in about 7 weeks. I also have ordered a short throw kit (hurst or b&m, whats availeble), when it's installed I let you know.

What you also can do, is installing a lightweight aluminum flywheel. (tpis 450$)

johnsig2.jpg

john

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction in mine, but I also have a slightly mod style car. I love the clutch its allows incredible flexibility. For instance I was snowing here and I HAD to move the car naturally we got her stuck in some snow and had to pull her out. So I did all the hook ups etc.. but forgot I used to E brake out of habit. Vroom vroom vroom WTH?? Why wont my wheels spin Vroom Vroom Vroom WHATS THAT SMELL!! Vroom Vroom VRoom Uh oh SMOKE! and then BANG BANG BANG like the tranny split into two!!. Turn out that sound was my rear brakes letting go at 3 different times (Phew) and I figured out I had the E brake on. (big 4 letter words) and some calming down later we got it out
and drove it No problems like it never happend I really respected the clutch that day. I do however realize I probably put like 50 000 miles on it though.

Whatta Night:crazy :hb :hb ;stupid :hb :hb :crazy

my friend claimed that his brother ran his GSR into the 13's with a racing clutch

jedi, if your friends brother had already modified the engine, the clutch may have made a significant difference. But stock, almost no difference.

Getting poor hook up in the transitions really kills the times.

Rick

Hey Big Red, what types of mods do you have done to your car at this moment?

All Dynomax Exhaust (No cats)
Complete MSD Ignition
K&N Filter (With the hole in box cut)
High Compression Pistons
Lumpy Cam (If I remember what the mechanic told me it was a Crane)
CenterForce Dual Friciton Clutch and T Bearing
Ported Plenum

And I havent checked yet but I was running a 160degree Thermostat when I bought the car also the engine was purple from the last rebuild, so Im assuming it has a hypertech or something. I'll know for sure when I change my ECM from a 85 to a 89 model.

Big Red,

You use the L98 heads? Do you have modifed them? Have you dyno tested your car yet, I am curious how much rearwheel power you have.

johnsig2.jpg

I use the L98 heads. They are the Cast Iron ones though Not the Aluminum. To the best of my knowledge they are stock they could have been ported or something but I really can't say. When I bought the car this was all done already I was told about the pistons and the Cam and my mechanic verifyed it. (thats how I came to buy the car)

Now here in my home town of Edmonton we have like 2 or 3 good dyno guys to go to. One says I can't go on because he can't chain my car down to anything and the other I can't get a hold of.

Its winter here so when its Spring or Summer Id like to run it on the dyno but if I can't I will definitly have some quarter mile times for you.

(Believe me I curious on how much rear power I have as well)
Only way I can even guess is by adding it up to what it should equal out to like MSD box= 10hp K&N(open air)=10hp so on...

BigRed said:
Only way I can even guess is by adding it up to what it should equal out to like MSD box= 10hp K&N(open air)=10hp so on...

:nono I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. :L

_ken :w

Regarding the GSR, since you have to rev the &*#(^&*#$ out of that little engine to get any torque at all, a racing clutch would let you repeatedly dump the clutch at 5k RPM without burning it out...
[RICHR]

Ken thats why I haven't given a total as to what I feel my car has. Unless you have a better Idea to get a rough estimate on what my car has please feel free the comment a solution and not a usless remark like:nono

When someone asks me what my car has I tell them what its equiped with, when someone asks me what the Dyno'ed HP and Torque is I can't say because the retards here won't chain my car up for the test. So what exactly am I supposed to say or do when someone says " Oh bro cool car what kind a HP does that thing put out? " I say shes 230 stock with about 50hp in add ons always a rough estimate until I can find a dyno that will accept my car.

Please don't take offense, I meant nothing by it. Sorry, my humble apologies. :eek:

_ken

Np bro half of the **** off is never knowing. my car was a hotrod from the purchase date. I really have to get a Dyno done but how and where is my problem/

Ken,

I came for a meeting with Castro, he loved my vette, so he gave me his sigar.

Big Red,

The only thing that counts is the rearwheelpower, sorry.

johnsig2.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom