Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is it you love about you're Corvette?

F

Future vetter

I am very new to the Corvette world and when i get my inheritance I want one in a bad way!
I think I want a C-5 they seem to be more refined.
I am open to any advice you have to offer.

To each, his own...

Everyone likes different things for different reasons.
Myself, I prefer the older muscle car era of vehicles, but I appreciate the efficiency and power of the newer cars on the roads today.
You should get what you like, it's you that needs to be happy with it, not everyone else's opinions.
Silver

Don't wait to receive your inheritance to buy one. Start working for it now and you'll appreciate it that much more after you've earned it and taken ownership. ;)

Even though I bought my Vette to enjoy the sensation of acceleration, I find its a real blast to just drive with the roof panel off down by the Jersey shore

Once you get one, there will be things you like that you never even expected., like the friends you makle on the forums and the people you meet on a local cruz.

Depends on what you're looking for...

I have a '96, which is an awesome daily driver and very dependable - makes the commute a lot more fun than my Ford Explorer ever did! I also have a '71 convertible, which I actually prefer to drive due to the "raw horsepower" feeling - and all the looks I get!! But I am also saving for a C5 to replace the '96 as a daily driver - want that trunk space!!!

Whichever you decide on you will fall in love with - and make sure you DRIVE it, don't keep it cooped up in a dusty old garage waiting for the weekend!!:s

I agree with driving it alot. I would buy the car to enjoy not rotting in a garage. I want to see if they will last at least 300,000 miles. I really like the C-5 due to the refinement and improvements made to the car.

Just like any car, the newer, the more refined. But a lot can be said of the Corvette experience through the classics. When I had my '81, it didn't have the power and refinements of a C5, but it was still a blast to drive.

If you want a refined sports car, sure, go for a C5. But if you want to truly experience the Corvette, I agree with Rob. Start working now for one and start with an older Vette. Then you will truly be able to appreciate the refinements of a C5 or C6 when it debuts.

I started with an '81, and now that it's left the stable I'm working toward a ZR-1. But as with any Vette, it's a Vette! Who wouldn't enjoy one of any year?

-T Jay

I agree with Rob, don't wait! Do whatever you have to do - set a goal and reach for it. I wanted a Vette almost since I was kneehigh to a 4-piston caliper. I knew what I wanted and set a few key life goals that had to be achieved prior to the Vette, some of them set because of the Vette. Among those goals was a job that pays enough to support the habit, a wife that understands the habit (just kidding, Kelly:love), and a garage. Once those goals were reached, the search was on.

The best I ever received was to learn all you can about the Vette you want. Research can save thousands and can save you the heartache of buying a Vette and finding that it wasn't the one you really wanted.

Best of luck to you!

You can't go wrong with any Vette. They all have their perks as to when they were built. A Vette is a Vette no matter what year it is, you will still own a classic.

I have to admit that there are cares and there are Corvettes, somthing about them to me sets them above the rest.
I normally like jeeps, but the only car I want is the Corvette.
I have noticed the passion that Corvette owners for their Corvettes like the jeepers they both have a wave. I figure it must have somthing to do with the fact that they are both American Icons. I even spotted a C-5 in a Moby vedio on MTV as I was channel surfing. I think Corvette feaver has set in.:crazy

I owned a 72 Coupe and it was an awesome car. Loads of fun to drive and experience. I waited 30 years to get an 02, much too long to wait. It's a very different car than the 72, but there is no mistaking they are both Vettes and drive like Vettes. I can't get the grin off my face when driving the 02 and each day I learn a little more about the car's potential; more like my potential since the car clearly outperforms me. What is most enjoyable is the other Vette owners of every generation that will go out of their way to help you, if needed, and who are brought together because of their love for Corvettes. My wife doesn't understand the camaraderie, non Vette owners don't get it, but when I go to our local Corvette Club, or do a cruise with other Vettes, or just talk Corvettes with other owners, it's like I've found a home and someone who can relate to my love for this car. I hope you get your first Vette as soon as possible.

Save up a down payment

Since I was in high school (many, many years ago) I always wanted a Corvette, I married and quickly had two children. I did not have the money for many years to even think about a Corvette. When I was 45 I was at a used car lot and noticed an older Corvette in the very back row. The paint was kinda faded but the interior was excellent. The car needed a carb and spark plugs but I bought it for 4500.00 dollars (it was a 1975 coupe). I drove that car home and spent a month detailing and making minor changes. I thought I was King o' the Hill. Every morning when I woke I would grab a cup of coffee and sit in the garage and admire that car. I absolutely loved it!!!

Eighteen years later I now have a new Z06 , a new Porsche Boxster S, and a completely restored 72 Pantera. None of these car give me the pride of ownership I realized with the 75. I made that car, or maybe it made me. Buy a decent older Corvette and enjoy the proces of growing with the car. Like the man said, "A Corvette is a Corvette" The American legend lives on.

Good luck and God bless, I envy you and the experiences that lay ahead.

I think that the Corvette represents what America is about. I dont get to excited about other sports cars, but a Corvette raises my pulse just thinking about it!
I love the technogily in the C-5 Corvette.

I haven't owned a vette since my '62 in 1968. That will all change on Saturday as I finally got the call from the dealer that my Vette is in and I will pick her up tommorow.

:beer

Steve
:w

So it sounds like you want a C5

Nearly everyone here has said close to the same thing that no matter what year you get, you will fall in love with it. If you have your head set on getting a C5, get a 99 or newer as they have the heads-up display, electric telescoping wheel, memory packages, ect. (I'm looking for the right one to come up and bite me), but make no mistake that even if you end up with a mid 80s C4 it will still be your baby. You don't need an inheritance to buy a vette, but you might need one to maintain a newer C5 with the insurance (especially if you are under 25 and a male) and any repair bills that might come up (not to mention the tires). Good luck, choosing the right one is the hardest part.
--Drew:w
:bu:bu

whats not to love?

my '99 has had it's share of very fixable problems just as most new rides do,however,this is my 3rd baby and the best by far.always turns heads and it's fun to wave at everyone elses babies.the c-5's are definately drivers.fun, fast and love to get it on! just do it!:w

Congratulations!!!!!!

Ctfoodguy2000 said:
I haven't owned a vette since my '62 in 1968. That will all change on Saturday as I finally got the call from the dealer that my Vette is in and I will pick her up tommorow.

:beer

Steve
:w

Hope you enjoyed the weekend with your new baby!!!:) My dream is still to own a brand-new-never-been driven-by-anyone-but-me Vette....

It's the only car that has the same acceleration as the Harley's I had to sell when I broke my neck for the second time in 1992. I never owned a car until then. I bought a 87 roadster and have three more since then. And by the way my 98 coupe has 37k on and still drives like it's brand new.

When did it start with you?

Being a Corvette owner actually started with me in 1970-1971. I was only eight years old, and would walk by this 69' yellow Sting-Ray parked near my house everyday during the summer. It was my first real encounter with a Corvette, where I could look in the windows and see the 160 mph speedo on the dash, marvel at its shape and design. The guy who owned it probably thought, ("Here's that kid again.") looking at my vette. I promised myself that one day I would own one too. When I bought my first one, I was so happy to get it. My wife really doesn't truly understand my emotion for Corvettes. My sister does. She was there walking with me on those summer days waiting for me as I stopped to look again and again. When I traded my first Corvette for a new one, it was really hard to part with it. My salesman told me that it would last about five minutes after driving the new one. He was almost right. I'm glad I have pictures and video of it though. My new C5 will never be as hard to part with as my first one. Next is the ZO6, then probably a C6. I'll be an eighty year old chirping gears in forty years driving what else? (A C9.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom