Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! What is that rattle?

adfac

Corvette
1986 Dark Red Convertible
I'm getting a rattle that drives me nuts under two conditions. When the air is off and I give it gas while rpms are low, it sounds like one of the parking lights are rattling. Checked them, even went as far as to remove the front facia to tighten them, but I still get the vibrating "rattle" (I think) from the front passenger underside. Sounds like something is loose. When the air is on, I get the rattle and it sounds like air is being forced into the a/c ducts, also creating the "rattling" sound. This only happens around 30-40 mph after the trans has shifted and you're giving it gas while rpms are low. The vibration is not as bad when the air is off but it's still there. Could be two separate problems. It's an 86, automatic. Transmission shifts fine. Engine is about 9 months old and runs great. Anyone have any ideas? ;help

Check your vibration dampener on the front of the crank. Having just installed a new engine it might not have gotten torqued right.
It could be something to do with the AC compressor in the clutch area.
Check all bracket bolts.

Glenn
:w

Check your vibration dampener on the front of the crank. Having just installed a new engine it might not have gotten torqued right.
It could be something to do with the AC compressor in the clutch area.
Check all bracket bolts.

Glenn
:w

If the '86 has the same AIR valve as the '84 does.....on mine the plastic cover on that thing rattles like crazy when the AC compressor kicks on (yes my AC works! :L ). Another problem area I had that drove me insane driving back from CF in Bowling Green a few years ago is the hood latch. The rubber bumper wasn't quite high enough and the hoot latch rattled something horrible. That one sounded more like it was behind the dash though, but it was very loud.

Well I guess it's a moot point now as I took it in this morning for a repaint. These guys are good and they're going to remove alot of stuff and it will be in the shop for about 3 weeks. So I guess I'll tackle it when I get it back ... unless they accidentally fix it. :boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom