Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is the best way to stop Header leaks?:

Mangod00

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT-1 coupe
I just installed hooker shorty headers and a Borla Catback exhaust on my 1996 LT-1. I have an exhaust leak at the headers. The mechanic says this is due to the crappy gaskets that I used(I used what came with the package). He recommends copper gasket. Will this make the problem go away forever. I cannot take the fluttering everytime I step on my gas pedal.....

Crappy gaskets will do it every time! :L

I use Earl's Pressure Master header seals ...

ear-29d03b.jpg

... along with their collector seals.

ear-29d10z.jpg

They work great. There are some manufacturers, such as Sanderson, do not use gasket at all. If the metal surfaces are machined well enough, you don't need a gasket, but alas most of the stuff out there doesn't meet that criteria. :(

Great info Ken, do you happen to have the link for the collector gaskets? There's only 10+ pages for Earls ;) 3" collector :beer

Ken are those $19.xx each or for the pair? It doesn't really say.

-=Jeff=- said:
Ken are those $19.xx each or for the pair? It doesn't really say.
Jeez, what's wrong with you guys?? :L

It states right there in the text:
Collector Seals, Pressure Master, 3 in. Inside Diameter, 3-Hole, Pair
The inserts are less than half that cost of the complete seal sets. When you have to take the system apart, you must replace the inserts. ;)

Ken said:
Jeez, what's wrong with you guys?? :L

It states right there in the text:
The inserts are less than half that cost of the complete seal sets. When you have to take the system apart, you must replace the inserts. ;)

LMAO Ken,

I poseted that BEFORE I had my coffee.. LOL

Thanks Man

Thanks very much Ken, sorry, I don't know how to "back up" in these links ;shrug
And I think it's all cool that you guys are LYAO's off but not everyone is a computer wiz out here :grinshot

You're help is great when it comes to the machine but why not have as much compassion and care when it comes to the far more complicated (IMO) intricate internet stuff. It ain't rocket science, but there is always a learning curve for those that are not in the industry. We come here from many different areanas and experiences :s

Colin, sorry, I guess I touched a nerve, eh? I didn't mean to. ;shrug

"Backing up" simply means to reduce the address (URL) by erasing it a little at a time until you get to the page you seek.

For example: the address for the Corvette Action Center forums is http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/. If you take off (or "erase") the "forums/" from the end, when you hit the "enter" key it will take you to the CAC home page. Is that any clearer? :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom