Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What kind of racing?

howard

Corvette
1973 L82 4Spd-No power options
So, just wondering what kind of racing you guys are in to?

I grew up in the 60's when you could pick up a 68 Hemi Road Runner or 427/435 Vette and be beating on them at the drag strip on delivery day before the day was out. Kind of partial to Drag racing my self...

Remember a race in 1970 era, "Jungle Jim" Lieberman in his 70 Camaro Nitro funny car cruising through the median at 200+mph with grass flying everywhere, Grumpy Jenkins, Sox & Martin, Don Garlits...geeze those were fun days.
Where I live now we only get 1 IHRA event that I anticipate for 11 1/2 months of the year....I love the sound of a top Fueler starting up on a Saturday morning!, mmm the smell of Nitro, makes me feel Alive !! watching a mid 4 second pass...the blower whine...argg I can't stand it any more!!! Help, I need a Nitro Fix!! http://www.piczo.com/CoopersGarage?g=5609523&cr=4

..... we don't care HOW they do it in Japan.....

HPIM1021.jpg

Howard,

I also grew up in the late 60's and early 70's. My Friday and Saturday nights were spent at a place called Thompson Raceway in Lake County Ohio. Quarter mile was exciting for me. Amature night was me doing the quarter in my 66 Impala. When I was not there we were doing the same thing on the back roads!! I miss that part of my life....what a blast.
:beer

I did a LOT of drag racing in '61-'62 (AA/FD, when we sat behind the engine); I'm 65, and renewed my NHRA Dragster License two years ago :D .

Launch2f.jpg

:beer

We have a few big events coming up in June, A funny car shootout and the IHRA 3 day event with Top Fuel, Nitro Funnies, Pro Mod etc, there is an excellent track just north of us that was resurfaced, IHRA profiled and large paved pit areas. Great show...non stop action as one pair is going through the traps next guys are doing thier burnouts. Hope the weather is ok this year, has been wet the last 2 years.
Makes my hair stand up just thinking of all the sights, smells sounds and Horsepower!!:upthumbs

Really though...I think I'm addicted to racing of about any kind...equal opportunity speed freak? lol

I ran a bike at huntsville dragway for awhile, don't have pic's of the bike that I can find...then changed to running a limited late model dirt car in Winchester TN for a time....now....just back to being a spectator!

Definitely drag racing is the way to go for me. I prefer to drive the car to the track. My 76 Trans Am has a 350 Chevy and runs 12.60's on 87 octane. It is small potatoes compared to some of the efforts above - but thats why I like drag racing - consistency is the name of the game, at whatever speed you can afford. The TA has been taking a back seat to the Vette on the project list lately, but I have no intention of getting out of it.

I'll race just about anything. My last two visits to the drag strip were in my 96 Lumina. The first time I raced it I lost to my brother in the final of a gamblers race at Thompson Raceway Park (the same Thompson mentioned above. I raced there from '83 through '95 then I moved)

When I have time, I usually race on Sundays at Dragway 42 in West Salem OH. www.dragway42.com if you are interested.

rascal_rascal_99 said:
You'll be driving this to CruiseFest right? :eyerole
No, that is Tom "The Mongoo$e" McEwen's 1978 Funny Car that won the U.S. Nationals versus Don Prudhomme's world-beating U.S. ARMY Monza, restored and photographed while on-display last year in Columbus:
this is the car I raced thru the mid-'90s.....
2d912746.jpg

Puffer2.jpg
Drag racing Eliminator and National Champion In both and Gas and Fuel Altereds and Roadsters
Puffer3.jpg

PufferRaceBW.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom