Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What makes for a nervous ride.

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
So my wife was away camping with my son , So me and my daughter was out hitting all of the cruises and cars show this week end.

We were heading out to one .We were on a state highway in the fast lane all by our self right next to the jersey barrier and all of a sudden we hear some thing fly off the car. Definitely something metallic rolling and bouncing off of the Jersey barrier.

We had no idea what it was, I test the brakes, I rock the wheel back and forth. tap the throttle, All was good so we kept going.

We went to the cruise had a great time, Put the car up on the lift and could not find one thing missing or loose. Sunday we were at a show and while she was polishing the car and found a missing bolt holding the licence plate surround on.

Wasn't a big thing but when you hear something fall of its a real uneasy feeling

So my wife was away camping with my son , So me and my daughter was out hitting all of the cruises and cars show this week end.

We were heading out to one .We were on a state highway in the fast lane all by our self right next to the jersey barrier and all of a sudden we hear some thing fly off the car. Definitely something metallic rolling and bouncing off of the Jersey barrier.

We had no idea what it was, I test the brakes, I rock the wheel back and forth. tap the throttle, All was good so we kept going.

We went to the cruise had a great time, Put the car up on the lift and could not find one thing missing or loose. Sunday we were at a show and while she was polishing the car and found a missing bolt holding the licence plate surround on.

Wasn't a big thing but when you hear something fall of its a real uneasy feeling

That can be a scary thing Larry. It's happened to me once with the 86 passing a truck next to the world famous Jessey Barrier. I head a Bamm..!! And felt something slapping under the car from the front to the back.

Turned out to be the left hand portion of the Z-51 spoiler about 18 " worth that had been ripped of the bolt mounts.

Don't ask me how that happened as I still to this day haven't figured it out...:ugh

With me I'm always afraid a wheel is gonna fall off ;LOLeven though I go around a second time when the car is on the ground I still can't shake that uneasy feeling on that first mile or two I'm just getting old I guess.

you know that old timers desease "did I tighten all the lug nuts did I even put them all on?

My hearing is so bad it would have to be as real big part falling off before I would hear it anyway. I would have never heard a 1/4-20 nut hit the pavement.

Not a ride goes by that I don't think I heard SOMETHING fall off. Last time was when I let 'er rip out of a gas station on the Island. LOTS of stuff fell off there. Have no idea what it was but the car handles better now. :rotfl

I need louder side pipes.

Not a ride goes by that I don't think I heard SOMETHING fall off. Last time was when I let 'er rip out of a gas station on the Island. LOTS of stuff fell off there. Have no idea what it was but the car handles better now. :rotfl

I need louder side pipes.

Why don't tell us about the Rage Joint Incodent back in Vorhees...

Larry,

Great to hear that it wasn't something important and is easily replaced.

It reminds me of the time when my father had a hubcap (what are those? :D ) come off and pass us. Always found it hard to understand how those things could go faster than the car it came from........... :eyerole

Rich Lagasse

Larry,

Great to hear that it wasn't something important and is easily replaced.

It reminds me of the time when my father had a hubcap (what are those? :D ) come off and pass us. Always found it hard to understand how those things could go faster than the car it came from........... :eyerole

Rich Lagasse

My right rear passed me in 1970. Not a wheel cover........the wheel. Sheared all five bolts off. :eek

that is my biggest fear when I think of getting my 60 project completed and on the road....something falling off...it is funny, I buy a car and I don't worry about it (who knows how much care was taken when it was built), but I start to build one and I know each and every screw, bolt and nut.....YIKES!!! Too much detail!!!!!

I suppose it will get better when I actually take it out a few times and get going........until then...I will still wonder and worry....

Herb

Does this count, you know what you are doing, are aware of the traffic around you, start to get on it , when out of nowhere, your passenger screams and throws their hands towards the dash.

Two years ago at Carlisle, driving my wife's '62 conversion car with C4 suspension, we had just pulled off the Interstate and were turning onto College Street doing maybe 10 mph. Heard a lod "pop' and the car stopped immediately. The right front bearing hub snapped in two. It was the only bearing we had replaced when we built the car and only had about 12,000 miles on it so must have been defective from the start. Got a ride into the fairgrounds, found a replacement, and had the car running in about two hours. Just lucky it didn't let go on the highway.
Charles
08280404.jpg

rag joint? which rag joint? :eyerole

Two years ago at Carlisle, driving my wife's '62 conversion car with C4 suspension, we had just pulled off the Interstate and were turning onto College Street doing maybe 10 mph. Heard a lod "pop' and the car stopped immediately. The right front bearing hub snapped in two. It was the only bearing we had replaced when we built the car and only had about 12,000 miles on it so must have been defective from the start. Got a ride into the fairgrounds, found a replacement, and had the car running in about two hours. Just lucky it didn't let go on the highway.
Charles

Not sure if your new hub was from GM or an after-maket unit. But, I had a friend of mine replace all four hubs on his C4. Two of them were from GM and two turned out to be after-maket hubs even though they came from the same source. He checked the two after-market hubs and both had a huge amount of play in them after only 500 miles while the other two were perfect. Ironically I had just bought four hubs for our new project with two from GM and two after-market. Needless to say the non-GM hubs are going back and I ordered two more GM hubs.

Rich Lagasse

08280404.jpg

Between this picture and Rich's story,I am now more nervous. I replaced 2 rear hubs when I built the 62.

I will check them for play.

I really have to slow down with this car, I feal I built it rock solid and did my saftey check when I pulled it out of storage. But when you see a failed part like this it really makes you think "What if "

Hey richscorvettes

What brand/make of jack is that in the picture? Very nice garage. It is a garage isn't it?:upthumbs

Thanks

garage_6-20-02_left_rear.jpg

Rich and Larry:

The hub was ordered from Corvette Central. There were absolutely no markings on it anywhere to indicate the manufacturer (probably from China). I sent pictures to CC and they graciously gave me a $50 gift certificate. The bearings were tight, I checked them before we left for Carlisle. From the looks of the break I guess the only way to check it would have been an ultrasound.
Charles

rag joint? which rag joint? :eyerole

Ok..Maybe itwasn"t the Rag joint... aahh Pitman arm??.. It was something that dropped out in your driveway after a ride...:confused

Hey richscorvettes

What brand/make of jack is that in the picture? Very nice garage. It is a garage isn't it?:upthumbs

Thanks

Thanks. Don't want to get the thread off track but there's quie a bit of detail about the lift on page 3 of our web site. If you have any questions about this lift or other similar units just shoot me an e-mail.

Rich Lagasse

Ok..Maybe itwasn"t the Rag joint... aahh Pitman arm??.. It was something that dropped out in your driveway after a ride...:confused

oh, THAT one!

yeah, the pitman arm..the nut worked its way loose and YES, it's a castellated nut....don't ask

it literally made it all the way to my driveway and then the link dropped

any wonder why i now always check everything at least twice :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom