Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What the heck fell off my car?

angry planet

Corvette
While driving to work this morning in my 68 Vette, I heard something scraping on the ground and sometimes bouncing up against my car. I pulled over and looked around and there it was: It was about 1" to 1.5" square with rounded edges on what appeared to be a U-shaped mounting bracket. It looked to be a little to the rear and to the center of the drivers side front wheel. Two wires kept it from falling off.

I was less than a mile from a good service center, so I risked it. It fell off before I could get there, but the car runs fine. They looked around underneath and traced the wires to a W-shaped plug, but since they couldn't find anything not working, they just gave me the plug and wires and sent me on my way. I drove 30 minutes home no problem.

Any guesses?

Cliff notes:
Bad news: Something fell off my car
Good news: Apparently Corvettes come with some expendable parts.

The first thing that comes to mind is the backup lamp switch. It sounds similar to what you described, but not the exact location.

The location is a little in doubt. I got a quick look from under the passenger side. It was on the side of the freeway and I didn't feel like rolling around under the car right then.

I am 99% sure it was the driver's front quadrant though.

It if was the backup lamp switch, what does that mean? It is a problem?

The location is a little in doubt. I got a quick look from under the passenger side. It was on the side of the freeway and I didn't feel like rolling around under the car right then.

I am 99% sure it was the driver's front quadrant though.

It if was the backup lamp switch, what does that mean? It is a problem?

The wires to the back-up switch are usually pink and green (which could be confusing if you're color blind)... are your back-up lamps working?

Oh.... backup as in 'reverse', not backup as in 'redundant'.

I will check the backup lights tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.

Cool article... is that a pic of Mr. JohnZ ?

Yes, but a poor one - this one's better. :w

MugWCar800.JPG

:beer

The secret's out. Now we know what John looks like....LOL.

How about a picture of your UFO? The backup switch would not normally be near the left front fenderwell. I'm wondering whether this might be a Bubba item.

:)

After some thought, it could also be the neutral safety switch. Those are U-shaped with the wires and connector you described. ;shrug

Angry Planet? Are you still with us? It is Devil's Night! :eek:hnoes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom