Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: What the hell, no c8 chatter......

LLC5

Corvette
98 black 6spd convert.
It's been almost 48 HRS since the launch and no real opinion on the Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Lets' tear it apart, or build it up!

What are everyone's impressions?

It's been almost 48 HRS since the launch and no real opinion on the Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Lets' tear it apart, or build it up!

What are everyone's impressions?
I'm surprised also at the lack activity .It doesn't look all that bad but I'm old (school) ,I've never had a vett that wasn't a convertible and manual transmission so I'm out .I certainly wouldn't want one from the first production run .

I think it looks great, those origami taillights look better on the C8 IMHO.

Not a fan of TFT gauges and owning and maintaining a mid engine, but I guess eventually Corvette had to go there.

The C8 looks like it could be a real winner, C7 residuals my have just took a hit.

I'm not a big fan of the side scoops. I was REALLY hoping that piece that's attached to the door was just a test mule ploy to throw us off.
Nope.
Still there.

Almost twins,almost
maxresdefault.jpg

Apparently that side scoop is very much a needed feature!
Needed, yes. BUT not that design. they could have taken that silly door piece off, and extended the opening up...while angling back a little, rather than leaning forward like it is now

I think they did one hell of a bang up job. They left the old pushrod 6.2 which is disappointing. On the positive side its an aluminum block and heads so weight is down and components are readily available. Won't be long and the Cadillac version is tested and verified to produce the horse power needed. It will be a shoe in version. Body design is excellent. Still the legendary Corvette late model outline without going crazy. Interior width and length is said to be increased thanks to the mid engine design. Thats a huge plus. More storage space but it doesn't look like the space behind the seats is going to accommodate our dog. He will not like watching us leave the drive without him. They stated better softer interior, a complaint heard from many. Overall its a huge improvement over the past styles. The 14 to 19 owners who recently purchased their newest version are going to take a value hit with the 20 starting at 60k. Major improvement is making many looking at a trade which is going to be difficult. Sales orders are going to be without trades are going to dominate. Owners hoping to sell privately are going to see some give away values.
I will wait for the following year when the rush is over and some miles accumulate. Second year minor adjustments will make this transport bullet proof and a winner for the following decade.

So...with the engine 'back there', this would seem to pose a problem for creating a convertible. Is there going to be a 10 year dryspell like there was between 1976 - 1985?

With the built up head rests its going to resemble a Porsche design. The coupe body shape lends itself well to a classic mid engine design. There is only so much for the imagination till one gets to inspect a production model. Chevrolet dealers will be fighting for allotments. Less quantity dealerships will be waiting longer for deliveries.

It is curious that the C8 has generated so much less discussion than C7 did. I remember us picking it apart on every detail, especially the "Camaro" taillights. But once they hit the bricks, most of us came to admire it as much as any other Vette series. I carped a lot about losing the big glass window in back, but still like how the C7 styling puts it all together.
The C8, though, is the Corvette Rockstar. It's easy to throw shade on little design ques you think should be done different, or trapshoot various engineering decisions, but the total package is a world-beater. The C8R, once it makes its appearance, will be wiping up the IMSA contenders and many, many others.
There is plenty of room for growth, too, especially under the hood … I mean … back window. Who isn't drooling for a ZO6, Grand Sport or even a ZR1?
This mid-engine rocket was worth the wait.

Last edited:
It is curious that the C8 has generated so much less discussion than C7 did. I remember us picking it apart on every detail, especially the "Camaro" taillights. But once they hit the bricks, most of us came to admire it as much as any other Vette series. I carped a lot about losing the big glass window in back, but still like how the C7 styling puts it all together.
The C8, though, is the Corvette Rockstar. It's easy to throw shade on little design ques you think should be done different, or trapshoot various engineering decisions, but the total package is a world-beater. The C8R, once it makes its appearance, will be wiping up the IMSA contenders and many, many others.
There is plenty of room for growth, too, especially under the hood … I mean … back window. Who isn't drooling for a ZO6, Grand Sport or even a ZR1?
This mid-engine rocket was worth the wait.

The C-7 was quite a departure from the 6. It was a fresh new style many waited years for. The C-8 has many unknowns. Few are familiar with the mid engine system build. Many new innovations involved with this build. To fully understand the complex complete picture there will have to be running examples for buyers to try and decide if this is the model they will ultimately desire. Some like myself have been stuck in the C-1 &2 vintage . History is important as well as past innovations. The C-8 is the first new model that I am truly interested in. I can see this style holding its value better than any prior models. Testing by the public will be the determination of a true qualified replacement. It appears GM engineers were solving many deficiencies of the past listening to consumer complaints. At the price point and technology buyers will drive them rather than get into lengthy discussions. The introduction is enough to get ones feet wet and step forward if your in the buying mode.
I don't expect positive comments from buyers that spend 60-80 k on a C-7 . Used examples of prior generation will suffer. A super positive for entry level first time owners.

Being wrong 97.6% of the time I apologize for evil thoughts .The C8 will have a Convertible option ,just tack on another $10,000 .BUT no manual transmission .

I think it was Wayback that said real men drive verts with manual :thumb

Being wrong 97.6% of the time I apologize for evil thoughts .The C8 will have a Convertible option ,just tack on another $10,000 .BUT no manual transmission .

I think it was Wayback that said real men drive verts with manual :thumb

Mine is closer to 98%.........

I can not take credit for the manual saying altho I do prefer rowing thru the gears.
250px-ClutchCargoTitleCard.jpg

Last edited:
Many new light trucks don't come with manual shifts, ... automatic only. Look at the owners median ages of new vettes. They sell a minority of Corvettes with the manual shift. Keeping standardization of drive line helps to keep costs and certifications down. Many will enjoy cruising in their new toy and avoid clutching in city traffic. The trend went 180 degrees after the performance days of big blocks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom