Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What to use on an '04 convertible top?

yungnbord

Corvette
2004 Triple Black Convertible
I just traded in my ‘87 (with some $$) for a triple black ‘04 convertible yesterday and the first thing… after speeding around a bit… I want to figure out is how to keep it clean! Any suggestions on how to clean and what to use on the cloth top? ;shrug

Erik

Yes, Raggtopp is the best. Be sure you get the right package - they also sell a treatment for vinyl tops.

I have read that Raggtop is the preferred product for tops. I never got around to it last summer and just two weeks ago I drove the vette and parked under a telephone line. I got bombed and there are two very dark stains that have not rinsed off. I have not had the opportunity to scrub the top yet (LT Oak).

I understand that Raggtop has a cleaning product. Is it any better than washing with soap and a brush? TIA :beer

I have read that Raggtop is the preferred product for tops. I never got around to it last summer and just two weeks ago I drove the vette and parked under a telephone line. I got bombed and there are two very dark stains that have not rinsed off. I have not had the opportunity to scrub the top yet (LT Oak).

I understand that Raggtop has a cleaning product. Is it any better than washing with soap and a brush? TIA :beer

I have never used the Raggtopp cleaner.
Actually, what I have used is Dawn dishwashing liquid or the same soap I use on the car.
Put some in a bucket stick the hose on it for a few seconds to get a good lather up, then dunk the brush in there and apply to the top.
The video that came with the car illustrated this. :)
I use a leaf blower to dry my car and the water just "scoots" off when Raggtopp is on!!

:w

Raggtop is also my top cleaner and protectant of choice. A word of warning, though...you need to make sure that the body of the car is protected from Raggtop spray. Otherwise, it is difficult to remove! One way to keep the spray off the body is to put towels under the convertible top, front and back, before it is latched down.

Elaine

P.S. I'm going to move this to the Care & Detailing section.

I have never used the Raggtopp cleaner.
Actually, what I have used is Dawn dishwashing liquid or the same soap I use on the car.
Put some in a bucket stick the hose on it for a few seconds to get a good lather up, then dunk the brush in there and apply to the top.
The video that came with the car illustrated this. :)
I use a leaf blower to dry my car and the water just "scoots" off when Raggtopp is on!!

:w

Thanks TripleBlack. I'll try that.

Thanks TripleBlack. I'll try that.

My pleasure.
It's always nice to get acknowledgement when advice/help is given out. :)
That doesn't always happen.
Please post some pics of your black roadster!

:beer

My pleasure.
It's always nice to get acknowledgement when advice/help is given out. :)
That doesn't always happen.
Please post some pics of your black roadster!

:beer
I'm from South Alabama. My mama taught me to say thanks when someone gives me a hand.:D

Everything I've learned about Corvettes I have learned here. I am thankful to have such a great place to learn and share.

If it will ever quit raining up here I intend to try some Adam's polish to get rid of swirls. I'll post some photos. Mine is Lt Oak top/interior and black body. This is similar to my first vette - '73 coupe black/ Lt Oak but all in all I like the triple black scheme better.:CAC

I'm from South Alabama. My mama taught me to say thanks when someone gives me a hand.:D

Everything I've learned about Corvettes I have learned here. I am thankful to have such a great place to learn and share.

If it will ever quit raining up here I intend to try some Adam's polish to get rid of swirls. I'll post some photos. Mine is Lt Oak top/interior and black body. This is similar to my first vette - '73 coupe black/ Lt Oak but all in all I like the triple black scheme better.:CAC
I'm from a lot further south than Alabama, and I was also taught the same thing! :)
There are a lot of very knowlegeable, friendly people here! :cool

Enjoy your beautiful roadster.. that is a gorgeous color combination!

Maybe I'm All Wet....But

Here's a close up shot of the original factory convertible top on my
2001. I've always just washed it with same soap I wash the entire
car with - Mequires. The top still glistens in the sun.
Remo:cool

2006188752747001490_rs.jpg

No protectant Remo?:confused

Protection from what? Most of these cars are garaged 98% of the time. Even the ones that live in fair climates. If you get some bird droppings on them - just wash it off as soon as possible and stop parking under trees. Companys like Raggtop thrive on peoples obsessions.

Now if you have a convertible that's never garaged and lives its entire life exposed to severe weather, tree sap and UV light - get a cover.

Protection from what? Most of these cars are garaged 98% of the time. Even the ones that live in fair climates. If you get some bird droppings on them - just wash it off as soon as possible and stop parking under trees. Companys like Raggtop thrive on peoples obsessions.

Now if you have a convertible that's never garaged and lives its entire life exposed to severe weather, tree sap and UV light - get a cover.

My car is a DD because I choose to drive it. Birds can fly last time I checked so parking under trees is not the only exposure. I treat my decks so that they repel water and the wood last longer. If you have cedar trees in your area you know what those little blue berries can do once a bird ingests them.

I need a sealer for my top.:upthumbs

My car is a DD because I choose to drive it. Birds can fly last time I checked so parking under trees is not the only exposure. I treat my decks so that they repel water and the wood last longer. If you have cedar trees in your area you know what those little blue berries can do once a bird ingests them.

I need a sealer for my top.:upthumbs

Understood. Well maybe you can use this for both your deck and your convertible top.:L
080351134005md.jpg

Thanks for all of the advice!

I want to thank everyone for all of their advice! Now… if the weather will just cooperate here in PA… and move above 45 degrees I can put my new knowledge to use!

Erik

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom