Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Would You Do?

R

redvet

In an effort to obtain as “balanced” a set of responses as possible, I am posting this in the C3 General Discussion Forum and the C5 General Discussion Forum…

The scenario: You currently own a REAL NICE '82 (probably one of the nicest ones around; red with a black gut, all stock, a real attention getter). Besides your wonderful wife, it is your other pride and joy, and you really enjoy driving, cleaning and tinkering with it. You have said numerous times over the years that you never intend to sell it.

But then, as much as you love it, you're wife's not too crazy about it (rough ride/noisy/A/C not as good as today's cars/generally not what could be considered a comfortable car, especially by today's standards; you know how these cars are). Therefore, your wife is not always necessarily enthusiastic about driving or riding in it.

Say an opportunity presents itself that you might be able to obtain a brand new (2006 or 2007) C6, or if not that, an almost new C5.

You only have one garage space to house one Corvette. Would you keep the '82, and all of its "nostalgia coolness," and its needed tinkering that you immensely enjoy, or give up that stuff and sell it to provide a garage space for the newer car?

sell the C3 and get the new C6!!

The C6 is a MUCH more comfortable car, more powerful, handles better, better fuel economy, and more "creature comforts".
In addition it sounds as if your wife will be much happier which is as equally as important as anything else. It great when your wife enjoys going for cruises and other Corvette related activites with you so if it makes her happy AND you get a much better car to boot than to me it would be a no-brainer.

In my expierience if she isn't happy in a C3 it won't be to long before she isn't happy in the new one. Been there got the t-shirt, kept the Vette and threw the wife out. Her boyfriend drives a Nissen so at least there is some justice in the world.

:L

To an guy like me, who's had a Corvette forever, it's a no-brainer.

To me.....I repeat....to me, and maybe no one else.....a late model Corvette is amazing transportation, but an old Corvette is a lifestyle.

If you want transportation, you know what to do. ;)

you can park a C5 outside they don't melt; actually mine spends more time outside then in the garage. If I had to choose only one it would be the C5,
simply because it is a daily driver. The C3 has it all over the C5 in coolness.

keep the C3 and park the C5 outside and ditch your daily driver for something with class.

that being said I just bought a second C3 :D

EASY!!!!!

"You only have one garage space to house one Corvette. Would you keep the '82, and all of its "nostalgia coolness," and its needed tinkering that you immensely enjoy, or give up that stuff and sell it to provide a garage space for the newer car?"[/quote]

Nope.........I'd build another garage. ;LOL

:beer Grant

If you can afford a C6, you can afford to make your garage bigger! I just stretched mine out this spring to 24X58 (from 24X40) for about $3600. Think of the old Van Halen song - BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! Just my opinion.

Craig

My father went through the same thing. He had a 75 and wanted something more "driveable". He's at the point in his life that crawling around a 75 was getting more and more difficult. So he gave me the 75 and bought himself a 95, which he has since traded in for a 2002 with 3000 miles. Everybody was happy.

My father went through the same thing. He had a 75 and wanted something more "driveable". He's at the point in his life that crawling around a 75 was getting more and more difficult. So he gave me the 75 and bought himself a 95, which he has since traded in for a 2002 with 3000 miles. Everybody was happy.
Great Idea!:upthumbs
I gave my son the ’82 when he graduated from Flight School.
He is working on his Doctorate now – I hope he does not have his eyes set on the ZR1; it just ain’t gona happen.:(

I love buying – hate selling cars and bikes. They never bring what I think that they are worth when I sell them and always cost more when I want to buy them back so my vote is to extend the garage. When we bought the last bike it put us into a Fleet-Rate with the insurance company and the annual premium went down several hundred dollars.:D

Ask the wife if she would rather see you with 1 Wife and 2 Vettes or no Vette and 2 Girlfriends.:dance

Interesting question... 1982 verses New C6 or near New C5... that in itself is just wrong... if I can choose between a C5 or C6 then I shouldn't be limited to a 1982 ;)

Regardless... I'd KEEP the 1982! The only way I would sell the 1982 would be for health reasons or too afraid to drive it. I've had several Corvettes and even intended to use them as a "Daily Driver" ;LOL yea right ;LOL

I can think of a lot of other cars I would rather have for a "Daily Driver" and still use the 1982 or C5/C6 for weekend get-a-ways and as 67HEAVEN says Still ENJOY the LIFESTYLE..

I wouldn't mind having an FRC in the garage ;) just to run to the Coffee Shop or get a gallon of Milk, and maybe once in awhile leave it home and take RARE out on the weekends ;LOL

Bud

Keep the 82. But then, i am biased.. ;) :L

My wife isnt too keen on riding in it or driving it either. Well? Whats the problem ? It isnt her car, it's mine. She can drive with me or by herself, if she wants to, but she chooses not to. I love my car.
When we had a child and people started to ask my wife when she will "make" me get rid of it. She shook her head and said: It's something he likes, so i will support him. :upthumbs

When we got the station wagon the wifey insisted on having it in the garage, so my DD is outside. My 82 has been sitting outside when we didnt have a garage.

So, if thats the scenarion: Get a DD, stick it in the garage, park the 82 outside. Put it inside when you need to tinker with it. No need to get rid of it, it sounds like you love your car.

:w
-Stefan

Keep the 82. You'll be glad you did the longer you keep it.

Keep the '82. Upgrade the springs and shocks (composite) and convert the air to more modern components and refrigerant. Just make the old a little more new. If you immensely enjoy your '82, you'll always regret selling it.

As many others have said. KEEP THE 82!!! I repeat KEEP THE 82!!

If you can still afford the c5-c6 deal without sacrificing the C3,go for it,and park it outside and if you have the cash or when you do,buy a quality premade garage,if you have the space.

I noticed that you live in PA. I live in Ct,and we have several places locally that sell quality sheds,gazebos and garages,delivered free for excellent prices.

And they are made by the Amish in your home state and shipped all over New England,and elsewhere,and im sure that they are availble near you.

I speak from experience,as I own 2 sheds and one garage.(too many toys)

They are very high quality,and I paid $5100 2 years ago for my additional 12'X25' vinyl sided garage with ramp and 10year warranty.

That was set up and delivered.

Food for thought,but you IMHO regret selling the 82. Ken

To an guy like me, who's had a Corvette forever, it's a no-brainer.

To me.....I repeat....to me, and maybe no one else.....a late model Corvette is amazing transportation, but an old Corvette is a lifestyle.

If you want transportation, you know what to do. ;)

HERE, HERE!! personally counldn't agree more. my wife didn't like to ride in my BRAND NEW 1993 convertible when i had it, (equipped with every creature comfort available that year) so why assume that there would be much difference in any other newer corvette. i guess it would really matter if it was your regular driver and you HAD to drive it all the time and she had no choice but to have to ride in it. since i assume it is NOT, 67 HEAVEN has my vote for accuracy.

KEEP THE '82! The value of the 82 will keep going up, whereas the new one will keep slowely going down. Also, you cant beat the drive and handling of a C3. My girlfriend hates the ride of my 79, but she likes being seen in it. Mostly because shes 16, and tells all 'er friends she gets to ride in a muscle car (kinda). If you sell the 82, most likely the minute you turn around and its not there, you'll feel like you lost a kid. :cry Sellers remorse. If your wife doesn't like it, doesn't mean you cant like it.
good luck
zachh

The scenario: You currently own a REAL NICE '82 (probably one of the nicest ones around; red with a black gut, all stock, a real attention getter). Besides your wonderful wife, it is your other pride and joy, and you really enjoy driving, cleaning and tinkering with it. You have said numerous times over the years that you never intend to sell it.

quote]

In your first paragraph, you obviously love and appreciate the significants of the 82. Although the C6 is an amazing machine, and any Corvette fan would be happy to own and drive one, the 82 will always bring more smiles to both young and old. The classic shark lines just can't be beat in the styling department in my opinion. (Although after getting up close and personal with a 2007 C6, I actually think the front fenders are very C3ish..) But I digress.

The 82 is the culmination of 14 years of C3's. Its a piece of history. And when you drive it you are instantly transported back to the past. You just can't get that in a new car, even a Corvette. Old sports cars are just plain sexy. Thats why the guy in the $60k 2006 BMW still does a second take on the lowly $15k C3...:) Because there is something primal about there shape and sound. For God SAke don't sell the C3! Although the C6 will run smoother and be more comfortable, you may wake up one day, and have become the guy in the $60k BMW...:)

"May we all have 6 garages with a C1-C6 in each." The ultimate solution to the endless Corvette year question....

Either way, Don't forget to wave!!

Drquazar
1981 Blk on Blk Clothseat Batmobile

Your '82 is as much a part of you as your smile or laugh. To sell it would be like amputating your face. Keep it! You can still get a newer one and keep both in your current garage. As long as your ceiling is 9' high, you can use a 4-post lift and stack them. I'm going that route when I add a C5 to my '74.

Apples to apples

Here is a different angle...the 82 will only get more valuable and the new ones will depreciate...now, with that said, I have suffered through the same anxiety...a topd down run on a cool fall day changes it all and I come back having fallen in love with my 78 all over again...get the AC fixed again...drop the air pressures two to three pounds for ride comfort and save yourself a HUGE bunch of money!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom