Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats It Worth 71 Vette?

StevieRT

I'm new here and I'm a Mopar guy, but I love the C2 and C3 Vettes. Anyways, My aunt and uncle have finally decided to sell their 1971 Vette. They are the original owners and are by no means car people. They drove it through the seventies on weekends and nice occasions and such but then it basically sat in their garage and was only moved occasionally a few times a year to go to emissions, around the block, etc. It has sat basically dormant for the last 7 or so years because my uncle developed parkinson's disease and no longer can drive. He has finally decided to get rid of the car and they came to me to help them sell it because they knew I was into old cars. Unfortunately I really dont know much about vettes and as of yet I dont have any pictures but here are the details.

71 Vette with T-Tops and removable back glass. Silver w/ black inteior. 350 Engine with automatic and facotry air conditioning and factory luggage rack. Not sure about what options were available but this thing seems pretty loaded with Power windows, tilt streering, etc. Here is the kicker......29,000 ORIGINAL MILES. This thing has original everything, I dont think anything besides the mufflers and tires have been replaced (with stock style ones and they need to be replaced again due to dry rot and condinsation sitting in the muffs). Original paint and interior, which are in great condition. Semi-serious scratch (about 1-1/2 inches long) and knick on front fender and the paint on the gas cap is flaking off, otherwise in great shape. Sinch they are the original owners, they have all of the history, sales receipt, window sticker, manuals, etc.

I know you need pictures but basically this car was never an enthustiasts car and just another fun car to have on the side, from back in the day. It really is in great shape and just needs some wax, a tune up and the afformentioned mufflers and tires and it will be almost showroom new. I know in the Mopar-world survivors like this usually can bring a lot of money even though it is not the 'high performance' model. Then again I know Mopar's were usually disposed of much more often than Vettes. Let me know what you guys think and as always, a big thanks in advance.

15K plus or minus 10K depending on options and condition. Can't be much more help without more detail.

Might be valuable for somebody looking for an NCRS Bowtie (unrestored) car.

Do you have any documentation with the car ( purchase paperwork, repair receipts, window sticker, etc) This increases the value. Untouched, original condition is very desirable. Now if the car has been abused for 29000 miles, the value is less. But nicely kept, low mileage original cars are always bring good money. I live in Long Grove, and I am willing to help you with the car, if you desire, no strings There is a large Corvette show coming up in June that will surely bring top dollar for this car. 15K might be low if it has been well kept.

Sounds like a nice '71. There were no "factory" luggage racks; they were dealer installed options.

:)

Well, at 15K I'll buy it?...LOL. Post some PICS if you can.

Thanks a lot guys. I wont be able to get any pictures of it till the beginning of June because I will be on vacation. I also wont be able to do anything with the car until then. I'm not sure if it has repair receipts and things like that but my Aunt said she has the original paper work and manuals. Like I said earlier, they are not car people at all, they just happend to keep this car for about 37 years......It wasn't abused, it just needs to get cleaned up and a good tune up. I remember I drove it when I was like 17 or something (about 7 years ago) and the thing was a total pig in need of a tune up, but it idled, ran, stopped, and drove good. It has also been garaged the ENTIRE time so everything has held up really nice. I know this is pretty worthless without pics so I'm gonna wrap it up for now. As for selling it, I live in West Chicago, my aunt in Melrose Park. I am about 3 miles away from where they have that giant Vette show/auction? in St. Charles at the Pheasant Run. IS that even still there? Anyway you think that would be a good place to sell it? Thanks again.

Thanks a lot guys. I wont be able to get any pictures of it till the beginning of June because I will be on vacation. I also wont be able to do anything with the car until then. I'm not sure if it has repair receipts and things like that but my Aunt said she has the original paper work and manuals. Like I said earlier, they are not car people at all, they just happend to keep this car for about 37 years......It wasn't abused, it just needs to get cleaned up and a good tune up. I remember I drove it when I was like 17 or something (about 7 years ago) and the thing was a total pig in need of a tune up, but it idled, ran, stopped, and drove good. It has also been garaged the ENTIRE time so everything has held up really nice. I know this is pretty worthless without pics so I'm gonna wrap it up for now. As for selling it, I live in West Chicago, my aunt in Melrose Park. I am about 3 miles away from where they have that giant Vette show/auction? in St. Charles at the Pheasant Run. IS that even still there? Anyway you think that would be a good place to sell it? Thanks again.
Stevie......you ever have any of those delicious "Scooby's Red Hots"? Been to Batavia a few times, and ALWAYS find time to go there.
Andy :w

Yes thats it. That would be THE place to sell it. Many, many knowlegeable Corvette people. Gather up all the old paperwork. That paperwork will prove what the car is ( there are many counterfeits ). By the way, does the car have a smooth hood, or is there a bump on the it with chrome inserts, and the leters LT-1 on it?

PM me. I'll help you!

HI guys, I'm reviving this post... with a ton of updates.....Well nothing ended up happening last year with the car, family problems came up so it sat for another year. Now my Aunt and Uncle need money so the car must go. I brought it out to my house in West Chicago and have given it a good once over... The car has some paperwork including the manual, original title, and a few repair receipts, but no window sticker. It had some cheezy 70's radials on it that were dry rotted to hell, so I replaced them with new BFG radials in the original size. It had replacement mufflers on it that had rotted through so I replaced them with new repro's form Mid America. The left front caliper was leaking so I replaced that too and now the car drives great! I also changed the oil and filter on it. Other than that, everything is ORIGINAL! I buffed it out and the car looks 1000 times better and the paint still shines like it did in '71. All of the power options work including the windows and headlights. The A/C still blows cold! It is in really good shape for being all original and untouched. It starts, idles, and cruises great. The ONLY problem is that when you get on it above maybe 1/2 throttle, the car just does not accelerate. It hesitates and seems to basically just have a flat spot above 3000 RPM. It doesn't fell like it bogs or misses, it just is SLOW. Now if I was going to the keep the car, and believe me I do but cant, I would give it a full tune up and play around with some stuff. The problem is that the cap/rotor/wires are I think original.... I dont want to touch that because i think a collector would go nuts for that stuff. I cleaned up the contacts in the rotor with some sandpaper and the rotor itself, I also sprayed a bunch of cleaner in the carb trying to get it cleaned out, but it still has the problem. I put new gas in it too.
Anyways I guess my question is not only, what's it worth? but also what is your guys oppinion on what to about getting it run better? Should I just leave it as is, or should I try giving it a good tune up? Also about the Bloomington car show deal in a few weeks; I want to bring the car up there but I cant figure out how to go about selling it. Is there a good place to sell the car up there without the auction or whatever it is? I think it is too late to register anyways, but I have never been there and was just wondering what it like up there? Thanks again for all your advice in advance!!!

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket <--- This is after my 'work'

WOW, Car looks great. Other than the few minor things you should get top dollar for this really nice chrome bumper C3. Good luck

Bloomigton Gold is the end of June. Very good timing for you!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Anyone ever been to the Bloomington Gold? I looked at the web site, but it is too late to register for the 'gold mine,' are there any other decent ways to sell cars there?

Beautiful ride. I hope it will find a good home and I think with Bloomington Gold coming up around you that you could probably park it nearby and get a good price. As for how much to offer, I think in the condition and originality you could get between 20 and 30.
I'd buy it if I could. I love the chromies.
Good luck!

Thanks again for the compliments. I really cant believe how well it cleaned up.... What do you guys think i should do about getting it running good again? Should I try giving it a tune up and of course keep the original parts, or should I just leave it and let it run the way it is? I'm stuck here as I dont know which way is the better route in selling it... I think the collectors would want the original parts on it, but would it still bring the same dollar amount if it wasn't running up to par? Thanks again!

Thanks again for the compliments. I really cant believe how well it cleaned up.... What do you guys think i should do about getting it running good again? Should I try giving it a tune up and of course keep the original parts, or should I just leave it and let it run the way it is? I'm stuck here as I dont know which way is the better route in selling it... I think the collectors would want the original parts on it, but would it still bring the same dollar amount if it wasn't running up to par? Thanks again!

sell it as is. You did save those parts you replaced?

Car has to be worth between 20-30k. Im sure if it was at a Pro-Team type Vette store they would have it at 40-50k. The car is so original and worth some serious bucks...just have to find the right buyer!! Gorgeous car by the way!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom