Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

whats the best do-it-yourself floor paint?

Corvette
1968 silver coupe ,1954 packard
Title says it all.I dont want to spend my life savings but I want something thats "the middle of the road"in quality and price.I want something in a light or med. gray.:beer

Paintdaddy,
I used the Rustoleum 2 part epoxy garage floor coating and was really happy with it. Comes in either grey or tan and includes paint chips to sprinkle on the wet paint to add color to the floor. I'm probably going to do the same thing in my new house--there are other products out there but they are quite a bit more expensive (UCoatIt for example). The more expensive products do have better/longer guarantees, but I was happy with the Rustoleum product. Andy

I used 2 part epoxy. It is very durable! I bought mine at a Sherwin Williams paint store. They sell them in any color you want. If you went with one solid color, you can do an average size garage for about $70. The only drawback is you have to let it cure for 7 days before you can start using the garage if you want it to be the most durable.

Bill

Floor paint

I have been in the paint business for over 25 years and floors
are always tough. First you need to take a moisture test, then clean and etch, also tempture is a big factor. Suggest you go to a full service Paint Store and look into the Rust oleum garage kit and if you need something even tougher ask about the Rust Oleum 9100 series. If you need more information I can fax you tomorrow when I get back to my office.:)

Does any of these require an acid cleaning before hand?

Yes! You will need to start with as clean concrete as possible. I also did the moisture test as well. Because if there is moisture still in the concrete, it will bubble the paint.

Bill

Tape down a 1 foot sq. piece of plastic sheeting with duct tape (not to tight) on the floor, leave overnight or longer,then check for condensation. Some times this comes from a high water table or just the way your lawn or yard drains. Hot wet tires, while cooling down will cause the most problems to your painted floor. floor wax on top a ''good" painted surface will help.
Always paint the floor in "decreasing temp." and watch the area where the sun will shine when the garage door is open (this can get too hot) causing outgasing and result in pin holes.

Aligator,this will be going on a fresh concrete floor.How long should I wait for it to cure before doing this?I will be anxious to move in but I dont want to rush it.:w

this will be going on a fresh concrete floor.How long should I wait for it to cure before doing this?I will be anxious to move in but I dont want to rush it.

My garage floor was fresh concrete as well. I live on the Gulf Coast where it is not unusual to be 100% humidity. I was told by several people that for our area, I needed to wait at least 90 days before starting the process of prepping for paint. If you live in an area where the humidity is lower, then the wait time should be shorter. Also, if the concrete is exposed to sunlight for a few weeks after being poured this will speed up the moisture escaping the concrete. I did my test right at 90 days and it showed no moisture. I wanted to be really sure before I started to paint, so when I did the moisture test, I left the plastic taped down, in several areas of the garage for 48 hours. I had one right in the middle, one next to the rear door where the afternoon sun hits and another next to where I had a plumbing drain going through the floor.

Bill

I agree with Aligator. You need to do it right, with the right stuff. I am not sure that humidity has much to do with new concrete since concrete cures, it doesn't dry.

I did my floor about 4 years ago, 25 year old concrete in california (no rain or humidity). I used a 1 part epoxy from Home Depot, probably $40 / gallon. It looked good for about a month, then it started to peal.

Now it looks terrible. Likely, it will have to be sandblasted and redone with a better product.

I would consider looking into an industrial product like "Stonehard". They cost a bunch, but if they stand up in a factory, they should work in your garage.

From my little bit of research it seems like sherwin Williams is the best way to go.They make a 2 part system thats supposed to be good quality.It costs more of course but its probably worth it.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom