Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's the Difference?

JAKE

Corvette
1996 388 LT1
I've been searching for a replacement Vette; mine burned up last month - engine fire.

I've found a few near to me and am wondering what are the differences between a 95 LT1 and a 96 LT1 other than merely the model year.

Thanks,

Jake

I've been searching for a replacement Vette; mine burned up last month - engine fire.

I've found a few near to me and am wondering what are the differences between a 95 LT1 and a 96 LT1 other than merely the model year.

Thanks,

Jake

I am not an expert by any means, but I think that the biggest difference is the change from OBDI (95) and OBDII (96) the interface is different for the systems.

Aside from the change noted by toms94 the biggest difference is that the 95 LT1 could be had with a 6 speed, the 96 only came with automatic. In 1996 you had to order the LT4 to get a 6 speed.

Pretty much that's it.

Sorry to hear about your loss, trust me I know what it's like.:ugh:mad:ohnoes My '90 mysteriously burned a few days after Katrina.

:w
:pat

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

So if the OBD is the primary difference, I suspect that the 96, with OBDII only needs to pass emissions testing by plugging into the PCM and doesn't require the tail-pipe test - at least here in TX.

If that's correct, then as long as my PCM doesn't throw a SES code, I can pretty much install an aftermarket cam and heads without a problem when it's tested.

That would leave the door open for AFR's new Eliminators and CompCams' XFI HR.

Jake

Yea, I've heard that's the case Jake.

I guess but you would hav eto research that a little further. Here we don't have emissions testing so pretty much anything goes.:beer The '96 OBD2 is a little different. It was the first year that OBD2 was mandated, and with the '96 being the last year of production for the C4, not all of the features of OBD2 are available. I've played around with mine quite a bit and can pretty much turn off anything that causes a SES light. The only thing I can't turn off it that dayum LTPS light. Mine is currently running LT headers, no cats, x-pipe, and bullet mufflers, with no SES light. I turned off the rear O2 sensors and viola no more SES light. I think even with a mild cam and AFR's I could get the tune pretty close, maybe even enough to pass a sniffer.

Oh another thing some of the '95's are OBDI but they have an OBD2 type plug, which is really confusing.

In 96, Z51 came back as an option. In '95, the Z07 option was hot suspension.

Z51 did not have the adjustable shocks that the Z07 cars did. Z51 was limited to coupes only.

In '96, the adjustable suspension was for ride comfort and not max performance. It was called F45 Real Time Damping.

One more little quirk for '96: The paint on the front bumper between the turn signal lights and the side marker lights was painted body color for the first time. '95 and older C4's had black paint there.

I'm trying to decide between two:

One's a 96 with a freshly rebuilt and waranteed LT1 engine with less than 500 miles. It's throwing 02 sensor codes, and the engine mechanic has changed all four, but it's still throwing the code. He's going to swap PCMs in the hope of curing the problem It has 118,000 miles, only power driver's seat, but does have Climate Control.

The other is a 95 with 41K, all options including adjustable suspension (RTD) and LTPWS.

Both are Bright Aqua (the same color as mine was), same price, similar condition (well cared for, garage kept, excellent tires, etc) and are physically located not too far apart from each other.

Ponder, ponder.

Jake

Unless you really trust the mechanic and the rebuilt motor, I'd go with the 95. The rebuilt may be warranteed, but it will do you no good if it's in the shop constantly for "warranty" work.

Unless you really trust the mechanic and the rebuilt motor, I'd go with the 95. The rebuilt may be warranteed, but it will do you no good if it's in the shop constantly for "warranty" work.

Good point. Thanks.

I like the Racecar reference too; never noticed that!

Jake

Just going by what you posted about the two cars I would go with the '95 just from the mileage standpoint.

Go with the 95. The engine may have 500 miles on it but everything else has 118k

The '95 would get my vote also.

Well, bad news for me, the 96 sold last week, before I received my settlement from THE HARTFORD.

I drove down to Houston yesterday to look at the 96 and it's a TOTAL DIASTER! Broken windshield, clear coat peeling everywhere, damage to the rear, badly torn driver's seat, engine wouldn't start, missing braces from the alternator and A/C compressor, disconnected vacuum hoses, one OPTI vent hose wasn't even there and the hole was left open, many vacuum hoses were mis-routed, one sensor plug was un-plugged.

BTW, what's that round solenoid on the passenger side of the intake near the front? It's supposed to have three vacuum hoses and one electrical connector. That gizmo was completely missing.

Engine looked like it has iron heads, but I didn't have a magnet to check to see.

Naturally I took a QUICK pass on that one.

Unfortunately while I was traveling to and from Houston, I missed the closing on EBay of a 96 LT1 with 40K miles, Car is really clean went for 10.5K, NO RESERVE Guess where it's located. Yep, in HOUSTON too!!!

The SEARCH continues.

Jake

Take your time. There are plenty of good ones to be found out there.

There are many Corvette only sales sites out there. I would find them and check everything that is available.

There should be many to choose from. You can almost spec out one as well as a new one.

SAVE THE :w

I bought my 96 CE from these guys, they say they do over 60% of their business out of state.
ttp://www.cnv-corvettes.com/

Very nice guys and they fixed a couple of smaller things that were giving me problems.

I bought my 96 CE from these guys, they say they do over 60% of their business out of state.
ttp://www.cnv-corvettes.com/

Very nice guys and they fixed a couple of smaller things that were giving me problems.

Thanks for the link (I had to add a "h" in front of the "ttp") but I got there. I saw three 96s, so I'll keep checking back.

Jake

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom