Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's the "L"?

jbonifas

Corvette
1981 silver/blue: two tone
I have been wondering, what is the "L" stand for in all the engine references?
Jeff

Ok, everybody, put the peanuts down.

:L Jeff, and they tell me that I have too much time on my hands! :L

I guess that's another way of saying "I don't know."

_ken :w

WHOA! Now I have never even thought to wonder about that before. I assume by "L" you are referring to L that comes before 82, 48, T-1, T4, T5, S1, etc... All I know for sure is that the L's started in '63; prior to that everything was numbers.

I'm sure one of the older wrenchers here knows this one and I'll be eager to see it myself.

It does not stand for any thing. Just a system of tracking options. Engines started with L (LT1, L82, LT5, LS6), performance packages started with Z (ZR1, Z06, Z51). U was sound systems (UM6, UU8) and so on.

tom...

My guess is that it sort of stands for the 90 degree separation of the two cylinder banks in Chevy V8s, forming an "L" shape. Similarly, inline-cylinder engines are typically refered to by the letter "I". Just a guess...

The valve-in-block "L head" is a whole 'nother story. ;)

_ken

Re: Ok, everybody, put the peanuts down.

Ken said:
:L Jeff, and they tell me that I have too much time on my hands! :L
_ken :w

I guess so :D
Paul

If you look in the old GM print versions of the parts books you will find a few pages in the front with option numbers for most anything you can think of. They start in the a's and go through the z's. Engines just happened to fall into the L's for no particular reason. When an option is discontinued the code can be reassigned to another option. An example would be Z11. Now commonly known as an off road package for the full size pickups it was once a very hot NASCAR version of the 409 displacing 427 cu. in. (the forunner to the 427 Mystery Engine).

The ZR2 code is now an off road package for the S10 but in 1971 it was a LS6 Corvette with heavy duty racing brakes and suspension equipment. A little research will show up many codes that have been applied to more than one option or engine.

Stingray72 said:
My guess is that it sort of stands for the 90 degree separation of the two cylinder banks in Chevy V8s, forming an "L" shape. Similarly, inline-cylinder engines are typically refered to by the letter "I". Just a guess...

Sorry, but I have to nix that theory:L. My Z24 engine is option code L-82 and it's a 60 degree V-6.;) Yet another example of option code recycling.

- Eric

71Shark said:

My Z24 engine is option code L-82 and it's a 60 degree V-6.;) Yet another example of option code recycling.

- Eric
So they used the L82 again but for a 6-cyl this time, what a shame.

The L code, L82, is for the engine, the Z code, Z24, is for the package which also includes the engine.

Another example of this is the ZR1 package on the C4. The engine was the LT5 which was part of the ZR1 performance package. (ZR1 was recycled from 70-72 when it was a performance package that included the LT1 engine.)

tom...

Ken, I haven't had much time on my hands lately, the wife just asked and I kind of thought, hmmm? I guess I feel better knowing that I am not as stupid as I think. You really hesitate asking some questions that you feel you should know. But I forgot, the CAC is a group of great folks. I kind of got the royal ass when I asked a question on the NCRS page. Not a friendly bunch. If you don't know, it must not be important. Not really loosing any sleep over it. I hope everything is going well with you and maybe we'll see ya in BG in August?
Jeff

Tom,
Thanks for the info. I guess the next question is , who or what is the reasoning behind not going L1, L2, L3 etc. or something logical.
Jeff

If everything was logical, we wouldn't have any fun speculating :).

jbonifas said:
Tom,
Thanks for the info. I guess the next question is , who or what is the reasoning behind not going L1, L2, L3 etc. or something logical.
Jeff

Now that is something to think about. Why did the L82 come after the L88? I think they use 2 digits for ease of identity but the numbers are probably random.

I always understood the "L" was the code for V8 engine. ;)

Tom73 said:
So they used the L82 again but for a 6-cyl this time, what a shame.
The L code, L82, is for the engine, the Z code, Z24, is for the package which also includes the engine....tom...

It gets better Tom! The Z24 code was recycled from the 66/67 Impala SS 427. WOW, my little six stroker has some serious lineage behind it with both L82 and Z24 in it's option sheet:D.

I'll have to check my Monte Carlo when I get home. Who knows what I might find:L:L.

- Eric:w

jbonifas said:
Tom,
Jeff

My guess would be that no logic was used. It was probably set up to use L for engines and then some low paid clerk assigned the RPO codes. No rhyme, no reason, just assigned it without thinking.

Now that they have some history behind them, they are putting more thought into it, like the Z06, LS6, ZR1, but only on the top end items.

tom...

The more famous codes are being reserved for special options now. They are playing off of past fame. Z codes go with performance packages and L for engines. BTW inline sixes were L engines too. We can thank the 1968 Z28 for making us aware of option Coding and giving the letter Z a performance image around the world.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom