Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats Up With These Gsc

S

sanman

i own a 93 coupe with goodyear gsc orig tires,car only has 26k
and rear tires are worn and have some chop on lr inside.the fronts look good but shake a little. is that all the wear you get out of $1300 worth of tires,these are the orig set,could it be just tire age?????????

I've got about 26K on a set of GSC's that where put on my GS shortly before I bought her. The rear tires are really worn, and the front not so much, but still showing their age. GSC's are considered an "ultra performance" tire, and as such tred wear is secondary to grip and performance.

I've been pretty easy on these tires, and I could probably get close to 30K out of them if I pushed it. If you drag race or auto cross a lot then 10K is not unreasonable.

Jason

well i just put on 4 new bridgstone potenza 730s,and wow what a differance.vette runs smooth again. $858 mounted &balanced.they look a little funky,but hey the money i saved time for some mods.:)

some c4s come with same size tires all around,some dont,i think it has to do with handling packages.

sanman said:
i own a 93 coupe with goodyear gsc orig tires,car only has 26k
and rear tires are worn and have some chop on lr inside.the fronts look good but shake a little. is that all the wear you get out of $1300 worth of tires,these are the orig set,could it be just tire age?????????

sanman,

The "Chop" you are refer to maybe one of a couple things, I believe it is called "cupping" or "scaluping" this can be cause by tire not being properly balanced causing the tire to "bounce" as you drive down the highway. Another cause for this type of wear is bad shocks, but more commonly it is caused by Tires not being balanced. Other types of wear inside or outside can be from poor wheel alignment.

I have my tires balanced between 4 and 5 thousand miles along with rotation, I maintain a FOUR wheel alignment about every other year. As you mentioned some year and Style of Corvettes come with different size tires between front and back so the 4 wheel rotation is out, and I don't know about rotating them from side to side?

Tire pressure and visual inspections every so often are a MUST remember these round rubber things are the only thing between us and the road. Preventive maintenance in the long run is cheaper than Corrective maintenance (sometimes it doesn't seem like ;) )

BudD
:w

Originally posted by sanman
some c4s come with same size tires all around,some dont,i think it has to do with handling packages.

As far as I know, all standard Corvettes C4 with the L83, L98, LT1 and non GS LT4's have the same size tires all around. The ZR-1's have 315's in the rear, and 275's on the front, as do the GS coupes. The GS convertibles have 255's in the front and 285's in the rear. The suspension package dosent really have anything to do with the size tires on the 'Vette.

Originally posted by Rare81
As you mentioned some year and Style of Corvettes come with different size tires between front and back so the 4 wheel rotation is out, and I don't know about rotating them from side to side?

Most of the tires avalible for the C4's are asymetric, meaning they are designed to rotate one direction, and for best performance have to be on a specific side of the car. On C4's that have the same tire size on all four corners, it's possible to swap front and back tires. But on the ZR-1's and GS's you are stuck with a specific tire for each corner. No such thing as rotating tires on a ZR-1 or GS.

Jason

Goodyear GSCs

Several statements on this posting have been in slight error with regard to Goodyear GSCs. First, LT1s do not have the same size tires all around. The fronts are narrower than the rears. Second, each tire is directional with an off-set center groove. Therefore, each wheel has a distinct tire. You cannot rotate from front to back nor left to right. In addition, tires of this nature (high performance, soft rubber) suffer from age in addition to wear. As GSCs age, they get brittle and hard. This will bring about poor ride quality as they get older despite the fact that they may have plenty of tread left. For instance, on my four year old GSCs, I had pronounced road noise and vibrations. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza 730 (such as another post mentioned above) with excellent results. The road noise has been greatly silenced and there are no more vibrations from the tires. An added benefit of Bridgestones is that they are a dual compound tire and as they wear, new, softer rubber is exposed and so they should not be as prone to the annoyances of age like other tires. Good luck with whatever you choose but any new tires should make some difference.

The first year of the LT1, 1992. All four wheels are the same. 17x9.5 wheel, 275/40ZR17. On the base model. In 1993 the base model went to 17x8.5 front with 255/40ZR17 and 17x9.5 rear with 285/40ZR17.
Apparently there were customer complaints about the 92 steering and the engineers changed things around. I beleive that offset combo went through 96.
Personally I like my 92 having all the same size. I can rotate front to back to even out the treadwear.
Graham

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom