Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheel Fins

Gary6586

Corvette
'95 Torch Red Coupe
Boy . . . this is gonna make me sound dumb, so pelase don't laugh: the fins on the wheels of my newly purchased '95 Coupe curl outward toward the front of the car, left and right sides. I thought that 'Vette wheels are directional left-to-right, so just to check, I looked at pictures of other '95's for sale on line, I noted that those wheel fins radiated outward toward the rear of the car. At first I thought that the tire monkey may have been in a hurry to go to lunch, but the rotation arrows on the tire sidewalls were correct. I recall reading a thread earlier regarding a fella posting a picture of his prospective purchase on in the thread, and a reply from a sharp reader noted that the left front wheel was going in the wrong direction - that the left side wheel fins rotated outward in different directions.

Am I missing something . . . .? I am gonna buy new tires anyway, so what do I do?

Thanks, Gary

Gary6586 said:
I noted that those wheel fins radiated outward toward the rear of the car.
You have a sharp eye, and this is a very good question. The above is what the tread on my Kumhos do. If you're unsure, a reliable tire shop (just not Wal-Mart or similar) can advise you without cost.

Tyrel - thanks. Your examples show exactly what I was talking about. I have not taken a wheel off to check the stamping, but I suspect that mine are on backwards -- although the tire rotation arrows are correct. Like I said, I am going to buy new tires anyway, so the problem should be fixed then.

Thanks again for taking the extra effort to help me. If I can ever help you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Gary

if u look inside the wheels,they are marked 'left' and 'right'

looking thru piles of old gm show car pics,seems they prefer reverse look for show to rotation on production car...i purposely mounted 89 wheels (NOT TIRES) 'backwards' for look--tire shop guy argued a little tho

rumor is vet wheels are actually factory-designated for decreased 'brake dust' rotation,not best brake cooling--brake dust is supposedly blown into wheel well rather than out over finished surface.....have thought about checking airflow while on spin balancer using 'yarn' strings--someday

That's a great insight - brake dust management. I would BET that GM purposely sacrificed brake performance (cooling) for looks (dust). Man . . . what ya gonna do

In any event, I am fairly assured that my rims are backwards. This will be academic tomorrow when I take the rims/tires to the shop for new meats.

Thanks for your help, and Happy Motoring . . . Gary

black85vette said:
You have a sharp eye, and this is a very good question. The above is what the tread on my Kumhos do. If you're unsure, a reliable tire shop (just not Wal-Mart or similar) can advise you without cost.
Oops! Guess I misunderstood. Didn't think any shop would put the rims in the wrong location, so my brain just skipped right over that one. Sorry!

black85vette said:
Oops! Guess I misunderstood. Didn't think any shop would put the rims in the wrong location, so my brain just skipped right over that one. Sorry!
Never underestimate how people can mess stuff up. When I bought my Z, I thought it was odd the front GS-C's had such an ugly sidewall compared to the rears. Turns out the tire place mounted them on the wrong sides. They are asymetrical, and on the wrong way. The sidewall even has stamped on it THIS SIDE IN or something to that effect.

People can mess anything up...

Thanks. Nice car. I purchased this car as is, but my wheels will look like that once the new tires are on, lol.

BTW: Many Internet tire places show 255/45/R17 front and 275/40/R17 rear for '95 coupe (non ZR1). BUT my RPO shows 275/40ZR17 both front and back. I guess this goes with the Z07 adjustable suspension. Just goes to show ya . . . always check.

Gary

mines just odd

when i purchased mine the front wheels are on right but the rear on backwards, only one guys said something, to me it looks just odd. the tires are on correct but the rims arent, so thatll b fixed when new tires get put on

Gary6586 said:
Thanks. Nice car. I purchased this car as is, but my wheels will look like that once the new tires are on, lol.

BTW: Many Internet tire places show 255/45/R17 front and 275/40/R17 rear for '95 coupe (non ZR1). BUT my RPO shows 275/40ZR17 both front and back. I guess this goes with the Z07 adjustable suspension. Just goes to show ya . . . always check.

Gary

I agree with the 255/45/R17 for the front however I believe 285/40/R17 is the standard rear tire size for a 1995.

I spent 4 years in Millington before getting stationed in Colorado. I sure miss Tennessee!

Mike

I spent 4 years in Millington before getting stationed in Colorado. I sure miss Tennessee!

Mike - I work at Millington as a civilian (retired US Army). Came here from Washington, D.C. - geez, what a difference. I have met some really nice folks though. Verrry slow pace - and those @#$% left-lane-hogs ! !

V/R, Gary

Gary6586 said:

Mike - I work at Millington as a civilian (retired US Army). Came here from Washington, D.C. - geez, what a difference. I have met some really nice folks though. Verrry slow pace - and those @#$% left-lane-hogs ! !

V/R, Gary

I loved some of the back roads and the Paul Barrett late at night. The cops there were usual not an issue irt my late night juants. I also loved the Memphis Sport Shooting Association, there were always open lanes so it was easy to pop some caps at lunch and get back to work in under an hour.
Congrats on the C4 purchase.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom